Thread: Inventory DB

Inventory DB

I am trying to build a database to manage kit that we purchase for customers.

I have attached a jpg of my design so far.

The issue I have encountered is we have many different types of kit:
    Radios
    Mobile phones
    PC laptop
    etc..
    Hence different fields.

The problem I have is different types of kit need different info.

For example have mobiles IEIM numbers, where as PCs don't require that info.

Has anyone else come accross this issue and can they help me get round it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FullInventory.jpg  

one solution is say an intersection table holding the item details as say..
    itemID 'fk to the tiem in question
    type' either FK or 'just the type eg: "IMIE" or "Build Spec"
    details eg "3.2GHZ, 2GB memory"

for a PC there could say be a raft of categories
    eg
    Processor: 3.2GHz Intel Prescott
    Memory: 2GB
    etc....

you may want to structure what sort of headings / details types you can have for any one device, and you may want to build in some form of explicit checking to make sure that key data is defined

an alternative is to spawn different sub tables for each distinct table type.

The former is more elegant, but a pain to ensure cdonsistency the later is easier to ensure consistency (eg a computer MUST have an OS, a processor, memory, a moby must have an IMEI)... but a pain in terms of maintenance ...although you can get round that by considering using something like XML in a generic notes field
    eg
    <Computer>
    <type>desktop</type>
    <Proc>3.2Ghz</Proc>
    <OS>Windows XP</OS>
    </Computer>

you may need soem form of templating to identify waht information is rrequired or optional
    eg
    <Mobile Phone>
    <Make>Reguired</Make)
    <Model>Required</Model>
    <IMIE>Required</IMIE>
    <colour>Optional</Colour>
    <Camera>Optional</Camera>
    </Mobile Phone>
    <Computer>
    <type>Required</type> 'or you could even break it down into allowed values eg desktop:laptoportable
    <CPU>....blah blah
    Last edited by healdem; 04-09-08 at 10:10.

Thanks for your reply but to honest that went straight over my head.

Can you dumb it down a bit for me?

not sure I can ..but I have corrected the numerous typos.. no doubt there are still some there... ever since rebuilt this PC and reinstalled Firefox, but refused the default poxy US dictionary in preference of an English dictionary spellcheck seems not to work.. perhasp I need to spend some me geek time and try to fidn the correct setting..

spell checking with a US dictionary is just as useless as no spell checking in my books

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    spell checking with a US dictionary is just as useless as no spell checking in my books
    Hmmm... I've never used anything but a US Dictionary for English, but that's because I speak English instead of UK-ese.

-PatP

I think they call it Cockney.

If I go to http://www.merriam-webster.com/, I get no results for blarmy and no definition that makes since for bullocks as I understand it is used over there on that little island across the pond.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    I think they call it Cockney.

If I go to http://www.merriam-webster.com/, I get no results for blarmy and no definition that makes since for bullocks as I understand it is used over there on that little island across the pond.
    thats the problem of using a US dictionary, I think you are talking a load of blarney, or possibly just plain bollocks, so Im not surprised the lexicologilally challenged couldnt' find any reference to blarmy or bullocks in that context. what is blarmy by the way a contraction of black army?

Cockney is a dialect of English. suposedly if you were born within the sound of bowbells church in London youcan call yuourself a cockney. Although sadly due to the likes of East Enders (dont ask) there is a virulent cousin (Estuary English, or Mockney dialect) whose tentacles are spreading out far and wide and engulfing other variants of English. Mockney, Like Liverpudlian has spread far ans wide well beyond its normal range. and is in danger of subsuming or driving out other diialects into oblivion

Cockney is the home of rhyning slang (apples and pears.. stairs, syrup of fig: wig, King Richjad the third: a bird [plus another meaning] so you can get the deliberately obscure I saw a bloke walking up the apple wearing a syrup when he hearly stepped on a King Richard). A prime example of how bad cockney can be you have to go no further than Duck Van Dyke imitating Cockney in Mary Poppins...

lor blimey guvn'r... he was 'aving a larf

English as in the defintive English is from the OED (Oxford English Dictionary), other countries have their own version including the Australia, Canada the USa and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    not sure I can ..but I have corrected the numerous typos.. no doubt there are still some there... ever since rebuilt this PC and reinstalled Firefox, but refused the default poxy US dictionary in preference of an English dictionary spellcheck seems not to work.. perhasp I need to spend some me geek time and try to fidn the correct setting..

Damnit, that's one thing I really miss. Since I zeroed my HDD, that's one extra bit I have not found and re-added to FF.

Is it an add-on or an option I need to turn on to get spell checking working without me even asking?
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Hmmm... I've never used anything but a US Dictionary for English, but that's because I speak English instead of UK-ese.

-PatP
    I prefer to use a dictionary for spell checking the written word, rather than spoken word .. but each to their own.

but that may be because Im reasonably familiar with English so I don't need to look up words used in speech..

I've always found it hard when speaking a foreign language not to resort to such reference books. I do sympathise with those speaking "English as a foreign language", and I do try to make exceptions for those struggling with the correct tense or grammer, using such odd ocnstrcuts as "write me"
    Last edited by healdem; 04-09-08 at 19:23.

Can you have a look at the latest design and see if you think this will work?

Getting to the point were I'm going to make a seperate database for each type of equipment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FullInventory.jpg  
    Last edited by martinbuffleo; 04-10-08 at 07:17.