Unanswered: Symphony database vs. SQL Server

Hi All,

I am now using SQL Server but hope to migrate to Symphony database.
    Therefore, I would like to know all the limitation of this Symphony databse and some additional info relate to this too...
    Would like to know you guys opinion in using Symphony...
    Thanks

never heard of it. my google guess is IBM Lotus Syphony. Is that what you mean? if so, you are talking about an office productivity suite, not a DBMS server. it's like asking if you can convert your db in SQL Server to Excel, which will be difficult/impossible for all but the most simplistic and tiny databases.

Symphony database

I am talking about the Symphony server and not the office suite. That is why I need further information on that...

who makes it? I've never heard of it. google comes up with nothing relevant...

Symphony database

This symphony if I am not wrong is developed by IBM.
    That is why I need some opinions on using this..
    I also can't get enough information in this and therefore hopefuly you guys have come across this...
    Anyway, thanks jazemine for taking your time to search..

Provided Answers: 54
    IBM bought Lotus Development many years ago.

Symphony was a really interesting attempt at an "all in one" application, many of the features of which were eventually rolled into Lotus Notes. Notes is an excellent collaboration tool, a good email program, and a pseudo development environment. Given sufficient time and resources, you can do some amazing things with Notes. Notes is not a tool for the novice, it will eat you alive if you aren't both disciplined and extremely experienced.

While Notes has things called Databases, they are nothing like SQL databases. A Notes database is more like a hyped-up spreadsheet with delusions of shared text than it is like a relational database.

Thinking about Symphony and Notes brings back pleasant memories! Thanks for the reminder.

-PatP

Symphony database vs. SQL Server

Hi,
    Thanks your reply. Do you mind to provide me additional information about this SYmphony database server?
    Mind asking you, can .NET and ASP fit into this Symphony?

according to this, it's not a database server. it's an office productivity suite.

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/l...hony/home.jspa

Symphony database server

Hi Jezemine,

You are right..it is a suit...but there is this symphony database too which have been employed by some user...
    Therefore, I wish to know more about this Symphony related to te database/server...
    thanks

how about you post over here then, I imagine users there would know more about it:

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/l...rch_type=forum

Symphony database

Hey Jazemine,

Thanks for your recommendation. I will try that and thanks for your time in replying the posts.

Have a nice day.