I am creating a forum. I am designing the tables for the threads and their replies and the relationship between them. Please have a look at these images and give me your thoughts. I have also included the schema.
FYI - you can download loads of free forum packages. Why reinvent the wheel?
i can answer that one...
- because free forum packages are overly complex
- because free forum packages have huge security holes
- because free forum packages don't do what i need
- because free forum packages take too long to understand
- because free forum packages use technology my host doesn't support
- because free forum packages require a different url scheme
- because free forum packages cannot integrate with the rest of my site
- because free forum packages suck the big one111!!1!1
lol i was going to reply with only a few reaons, but all mine are in r937's post!
The main reason for me is that they are not that customizable - i want a really light weight forum. A really really simple one. Plus i like doing it myself so that if something does go wrong i know where to look.
No. I know packages that don't tick most if not all of those boxes. The code is totally configurable. You can get forums written in pretty well any language under GPL. Different URL scheme - you not got a text editor? How can it take longer to use a WYSIWYG forum tool than to build one from scratch? Add loads of MODs, cummunity support, 10s to 10000s of reference sites.
If you want to do one to learn or for the sake of it then fair enough. But I think that of almost all the packages you might build yourself vs get for free I reckon building a forum represents one of the worst ROIs on your time there is.