What are database drivers and ODBC?

I am currently learning about Databases and ODBC and JDBC.

I am confused as to what is ODBC and JDBC and how are they different from database drivers? Are they simply a collection of various database drivers? What role do they play and mainly how are they different from a database driver?

Thanks in advance

Look up these terms in the Wikipedia. The definitions there should help you understand the differences.

-PatP

I have gone through wikipedia and i am still not clear with the underlyign terms..thus i wanted someone to explain it ina simpler way.

Can you give an example of terms that you're having trouble with?

The problem is that the Wikipedia is targeted toward the average technical reader, so from our (or at least my) perspective it is pretty simple already and it avoids the complex issues.

I'll be glad to help you, but right now I don't understand how. Can you explain what you know or at least think that you know, then follow that explanation with questions about the parts that are causing you trouble? That would give a much narrower field, which I think I could help you understand much better.

An introductory lecture on ODBC, JDBC, and Database Drivers with some examples would easily fill an hour verbally with 20 to 30 presentation slides. That's way too much information to cram into a forum response.

-PatP

try this, to see if it helps.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by loquin View Post
    try this, to see if it helps.
    Thanks Loquin... your link was very informative. As you mentioned, truely a history on Microsoft techniques for DB connectivity.