Unanswered: DB2 Server - client connectivity

All ,

I have installed DB2(V9.1) server on AIX 5.3 & DB2 client(V9.1) on solaris 5.10.
    I have set up user : srvr1212 & fc1212 on server host & db2inst5 on client host.
    I have created a sample db 'ADBA1212' and sever instance as 'srvr1212' on host machine& 'db2inst5' as client instance on client machine.

How do i now test my db connectivity?
    I am particularly not aware of how do i now test the connectivity?

How does client instance now talks with the server instance?
    What post installation configuration i have to do at both ends to test this connectivity?

Regarda
    Abhi

Have a look at the CATALOG TCPIP NODE and CATALOG DATABASE commands. With the first, you make your DB2 server known at the client, and with the second a database located at the server is made available at the client. Once this is done, a simple CONNECT TO <local-db-alias> does the job.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Arrow

Thanks stolze !!

Here is how it looks :
    On the host where server is installed :

db2 => LIST DATABASE DIRECTORY

System Database Directory

Number of entries in the directory = 1

Database 1 entry:

Database alias = ADBA1212
    Database name = ADBA1212
    Local database directory = /clocal/udb/srvr1212
    Database release level = b.00
    Comment =
    Directory entry type = Indirect
    Catalog database partition number = 0
    Alternate server hostname =
    Alternate server port number =

Whats diffrence between system databse directory & local database directory? As per above entry its a database on local so i guess cataloging is not required.On the client side though,i have prepared this command .Pls check:

CATALOG ADMIN TCPIP NODE db2tcp1 REMOTE 53.231.196.171 SERVER 523 REMOTE_INSTANCE srvr1212 OSTYPE AIX

On the server side ,after installation i had kept aside following two settings to be done:

db2 update dbm cfg USING DFTDBPATH /clocal/srvrnnnn
    db2 update dbm cfg USING SVCENAME srvrnnnn

Shall i run these commands on server host with srvrnnnn replaced as srvr1212?

Regards
    Abhi

At the client, you have to run the following two commands:
    1. CATALOG TCPIP NODE ...
    2. CATALOG DATABASE ...

The first registers the DB2 instance on the server as "node" at the client, i.e. you can attach to that (remote) instance. The 2nd makes a database in the DB2 instance known at your client.

(CATALOG ADMIN TCPIP NODE is something different again.)

Before that can work, you have to configure your server to accept incoming connections via TCPIP. For that, do:
    • update the SVCENAME config parameter (which you did)
    • db2set DB2COMM=TCPIP

The first tells DB2 at which port (either a service name to be resolved via /etc/services, or a numeric port number). The second well tells DB2 to actually start TCPIP communication.

(Setting the Default database directory is completely unrelated here.)

p.s: If that doesn't work, please go step by step through the manuals because TCP/IP configuration is covered there in detail.
    Knut Stolze

thanks again stolze !!!

Here is what i did :

On Server side(AIX 5.3):

A.clmid007:/clocal/udb/srvr1212/sqllib/bin $ db2set -all
    [i] DB2COMM=TCPIP
    [i] DB2AUTOSTART=TRUE
    [g] DB2SYSTEM=clmid007
    [g] DB2ADMINSERVER=udbadm

B.# added srvr1212 into /etc/services
    srvr1212 12120/tcp

B.clmid007:/clocal/udb/srvr1212/sqllib/bin $ db2 update dbm cfg USING SVCENAME srvr1212
    DB20000I The UPDATE DATABASE MANAGER CONFIGURATION command completed successfully.

C.clmid007:/clocal/udb/srvr1212/sqllib/bin $ db2 update dbm cfg USING DFTDBPATH /clocal/udb/srvr1212
    DB20000I The UPDATE DATABASE MANAGER CONFIGURATION command completed successfully.

On Client side(solaris 5.10):

bash-3.00$ db2 CATALOG TCPIP4 NODE db2tcp1 REMOTE 53.231.196.171 SERVER srvr1212 REMOTE_INSTANCE srvr1212 OSTYPE AIX
    DB20000I The CATALOG TCPIP4 NODE command completed successfully.
    DB21056W Directory changes may not be effective until the directory cache is
    refreshed.

bash-3.00$db2 CATALOG DATABASE ADBA1212 AS ABHIDBA AT NODE db2tcp1
    DB20000I The CATALOG DATABASE command completed successfully.
    DB21056W Directory changes may not be effective until the directory cache is
    refreshed.

bash-3.00$ db2 connect to ABHIDBA user srvr1212
    Enter current password for srvr1212:
    SQL1337N The service "srvr1212" was not found.

This error definitely pointed to the port not open for communication.I have asked sys admin to check on this port.

After this ,i uncataloged the node on client & replaced TCPIP4 with TCPIP while cataloging it again,but again failed ,this time with new error...

SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "53.231.196.171". Communication function detecting the error: "connect". Protocol specific error code(s): "145", "*","*". SQLSTATE=08001

As per the SQLSTATE 08001 ,the client is unable to establish the connection.

I guess i have done all required configuration & it could be the OS/network issue...but still let me know if the steps taken are correct or not...

Regards
    Abhi

Two questions:
    1. Did you restart your DB2 instance after you set SVCENAME and DB2COMM=TCPIP?
    2. Did you add the same entry to /etc/services that you also specified at the server?

If you didn't do 1., then DB2 won't know on which port to listen and/or that it should start TCP/IP support.
    If you didn't do 2., then the client cannot resolve the descriptive service name and does not now against which port it has to connect to at the server.
    Knut Stolze

Well,
    I tried them now...but nop....as a matter of fact i feel something is missing...look at following :

BTW,i found a similar entry in /etc/services at the client host so i need not add it.

On Server Side :
    clmid007:/global/site/vendor/udb/V9.1.4/instance $ db2 connect to ADBA1212 user srvr1212
    SQL30082N Security processing failed with reason "15" ("PROCESSING FAILURE").
    SQLSTATE=08001

db2 => RESTART DATABASE ADBA1212 USER srvr1212
    SQLSTATE=08001

db2 => LIST ACTIVE DATABASES
    SQL1611W No data was returned by Database System Monitor.

Can you tell me what are the commands for stopping & starting instance?(srvr1212) as well as databse itself ?

I beileve server instance commands are found in : <install_root>/instance folder.(db2istop,db2istrt)

Regards
    Abhi

I am not getting this !!!
    How come now i am unable to list active database.?
    When i created it few days back ,i could easily connect the server instance(srvr1212) to the database(ADBA1212).

One more thing ,hows srvr1212's password is managed ? that day it got connected but later on i had changed srvr1212's(unix user) password('passwd').

I am bit confused now as DB is not getting re-started?

Regards
    Abhi

You should figure out which configurations you changed so that DB2 doesn't come up again on the server. We can't tell you then.

Then you should ensure that your client system can actually connect to the server (like trying a "ping" or "ssh" connection). If that works, it is just a matter of configuring DB2 properly. If it doesn't work, you have an underlying network problem that you have to sort out.

p.s: Unless you changed the respective DB2 configuration, DB2 will use the underlying operating system for authentication purposes.
    Knut Stolze

Arrow

I have cross checked everything i know of installation & post-installation configuration.
    Everything seems to be okay.

Now i am trying to install the FP4 over the base product on server host but getting following error:

Installing fix pack 4
    clmid007# ./installFixPack -b /global/site/vendor/udb/V9.1.4 -t /tmp/traceinstallfixpack4.log
    ERROR:
    Required minimum level of xlC runtime is 8.0.0.6
    Actual version of the library file detected : 8.0.0.4
    You can go to http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/xlcpp/support to download
    the XL C++ runtime.
    Check the following web site for the up-to-date system requirements
    of IBM DB2 9
    http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/sysreqs.html

Aborting the current installation ...
    Run installation with -f parameter to force the installation.

How do i get this xlC runtime library file? I do not know the file name to be searched on IBM website & also how do i install this runtime library file explicitely? Do i have to install the xl c/c++ compiler V 9.0?

I need some guidance on updating these runtime enviroments as 2 other AIX 5.3 boxes are also facing same issue?

Here is what i have currently on my system:
    clmid007:/clocal/tech/user/testlab $ lslpp -l |grep xlC
    xlC.aix50.rte 8.0.0.4 COMMITTED C Set ++ Runtime for AIX 5.0
    xlC.cpp 6.0.0.0 COMMITTED C for AIX Preprocessor
    xlC.msg.en_US.cpp 6.0.0.0 COMMITTED C for AIX Preprocessor
    xlC.msg.en_US.rte 8.0.0.4 COMMITTED C Set ++ Runtime
    xlC.rte 8.0.0.4 COMMITTED C Set ++ Runtime

Arrow

All,

1.This link gave me the required runtime PTF
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...=utf-8&lang=en

2.This link describes how to install runtime PTF
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg21215669

I have downloaded ,uncompressed & untarred this "xlc.rte.aix50.oct2006.ptf.tar.Z" file on my server box...

Now as per the link 2 ,it tell us how to install these filesets but its not clear cut how to do it.
    Steps No 3 ,4,5 on this link are easy to understand but not very clear how to execute them.These steps need to be done cautiously by "root" user only & requires some admin knowledge on AIX.I need to use "smit" utility provided by IBM which is present on this box.

I would request you to kindly look into this 2nd link & guide me on steps 3,4,5 especially step 3.

One more thing i observed is that on the same server system ,i have "/usr/sys/inst.images/installp/ppc" folder & there are 21 .bff files present in it.

As per the step 3 (of link 2) ,it asks us to create a .toc file using "inutoc <PTF DIR>" command.When i read the manual of inutoc command,it says that the default installation image directory is "/usr/sys/inst.images" but i did not find any .toc file present(if created previously) there ;infact i found two more fodlers "installp/ppc" there which has these 21 .bff files present.

I am wondering whether to copy my required two files in this location & then run "installp" (or smit) command.Please let me know your ideas.

I have halted at this point as i am not sure how to install these filesets.But one things for sure that i definitely need these two filesets for installing FP4 of DB2 V9.1.

Regards
    Abhi

Smile

Hello Again,
    I am getting following error in db2diag.log file at the server host.

2008-04-25-06.47.07.487566-240 I109869A273 LEVEL: Warning
    PID : 352594 TID : 1
    FUNCTION: DB2 Common, Security, Users and Groups, secLogMessage, probe:20
    DATA #1 : String, 67 bytes
    Password validation for user srvr1212 failed with rc = -2146500315

When i did this :

clmid007:/clocal/udb/srvr1212/sqllib/bin $ db2diag -rc -2146500315

Input ZRC string '-2146500315' parsed as 0x800F0125 (-2146500315).

ZRC value to map: 0x800F0125 (-2146500315)

ZRC class :
    SQL Error, User Error,... (Class Index: 0)
    Component:
    SQLO ; oper system services (Component Index: 15)
    Reason Code:
    293 (0x0125)

Identifer:
    SQLO_AUTHENTICATION_FAILED
    Identifer (without component):
    SQLZ_RC_AUTHENTICATION_FAILED

Description:
    Invalid Userid or Password

Associated information:
    Sqlcode -30082
    SQL30082N Security processing failed with reason "" ("").

Number of sqlca tokens : 2
    Diaglog message number: 1

On server side,i changed the password for server instance 'srvr1212' since it was more than 8 characters & now have kept exactly of 8 characters.

Even then i am getting this error on client side:

SQLSTATE=08001

which when cross checked against 'db2diag.log' is just the same.

Can Anyone tell me why this authentication is failing at the server side?

Regards
    Abhi

Arrow

Hi All,
    I have db2V9.1fp4 running on AIX box & client on solaris box.
    I have created 7 databases for Websphere Portal Server on AIX box.

Now i want to catalogue them on client box.

My Qs is what would be the node while cataloguing all these databses(aliases) on client box?Would the node name remain same or will it be diffrent for 7 diffrent databases ?

"CATALOG TCPIP NODE db2tcp1 REMOTE 53.xxx.xxx.xxx SERVER srvr1212 REMOTE_INSTANCE xxxxxxxx OSTYPE AIX"

Would db2tcp1 remain same for all 7 commands?

Regards
    Abhi

You catalog the node only once, then catalog all database on that node. In other words, there is:
    1x CATALOG TCPIP NODE
    7x CATALOG DATABASE
    Knut Stolze