Thread: Error 3734

Unanswered: Error 3734

"The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'machinename' that prevents it from being opened or locked."

Excuse me if this is elsewhere, couldnt see it. I have looked at thread below, but dont think this really answers my question.

I have a single database with no added security on it that has always had shared access to it, but recently it has started giving the above error message. The only link i can give is that a newish macro includes a reference to currentDB (this was written for me by a colleague who knows more about access than me).

is there any way of getting the database back to shared use?

MTIA

This usually occurs when an object other than a query is open in design view. If you post the VB of the macro, it would help determine if the macro is the cause.

Maybe this post will help:

http://www.dbforums.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=11

It has 2 links to Microsoft posts which refer to the error similar to yours.

Have ALL users exit the mdb and make sure to compact/repair the database. If the *.ldb still shows (and you are absolutely sure no users are in the mdb), then have the network administrator manually delete the *.ldb and then compact/repair again. If he/she cannot delete the *.ldb file, someone has still got to be in it (or MSAccess is hungup and running in their Task Manager)
    Last edited by pkstormy; 04-15-08 at 11:02.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    Maybe this post will help:

http://www.dbforums.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=11

It has 2 links to Microsoft posts which refer to the error similar to yours.

Have ALL users exit the mdb and make sure to compact/repair the database. If the *.ldb still shows (and you are absolutely sure no users are in the mdb), then have the network administrator manually delete the *.ldb and then compact/repair again. If he/she cannot delete the *.ldb file, someone has still got to be in it (or MSAccess is hungup and running in their Task Manager)
    cheers mate, will try that in a mo. I did see you post on the above link, which was where i got the thought about the currentdb bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    This usually occurs when an object other than a query is open in design view. If you post the VB of the macro, it would help determine if the macro is the cause.
    ' Produce Cluster Exports button

Private Sub Command14_Click()

Dim Set1 As Recordset, DB1 As Database
    Set DB1 = CurrentDb
    Set Set1 = DB1.OpenRecordset("Clusters", dbOpenDynaset)
    'savepath = Left$(CurrentDb.Name, InStr(CurrentDb.Name, Dir(CurrentDb.Name, vbDirectory)) - 1)
    savepath = "\\Dfs60708\106007001\workgroup\PRU\Mobile Database\mobile exports\"

'remove old copies of excel files
    Set1.MoveFirst
    Do Until Set1.EOF
    strFilename = savepath & Set1![Cluster] & ".xls"
    If Len(Dir(strFilename)) > 0 Then
    Kill strFilename
    End If
    Set1.MoveNext
    Loop

'create new excel files
    Set1.MoveFirst
    Do Until Set1.EOF
    Forms![reports menu]![Cluster] = Set1![Cluster]
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "ClusterQry", savepath & Set1![Cluster] & ".xls", True
    Set1.MoveNext
    Loop

MsgBox "Cluster data has been saved to the Mobile Exports folder.", vbInformation, "Telecoms"

End Sub

does this help?

Quote Originally Posted by wartroll
    cheers mate, will try that in a mo. I did see you post on the above link, which was where i got the thought about the currentdb bit.
    seems to have worked...strange that

aaaarrrggghhhhhhh. its doing it again, tried the ol compact and repair, but that hasnt worked this time!
    when colleague is logged in it gives a file as filetype access.locked.9 (hidden/system file?) could this be what is causing it?
    (I know it will open a file when it is in use, but the fact it is showing as a locked file i mean)

cheers