Unanswered: Synchronize SQL databases

Please can somebody help me with the following:

Our company has an enterprize site (a very large one). From time to time we need to make changes in it. In other words, we had to synchronize one database (local where we make all changes) and database on hosting. So, we did it manually (wrote scripts and inserted them in database on hosting). But as the databases grew it became impossible to synchronize everything manually. So we need some tool which could cope with this task. The problem is that, as I know, there are many tools which can do it, but we are tight in time and can't evaluate them all. Please share your ideas on what tool is worth evaluating?

Thanks in advance.

check out for the free tool at www.dbchangemanager.com, if you want to compare and synchronize SQLServer schema..

Provided Answers: 6
    Redgate SQL Compare. I do not know how I was a DBA before I started using it. It does cost a little bit of money, but the completeness of it and it's ease of use and the piece of mind of using software from an established vendor to protect the sacred jewels is worth every penny.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Likewise. we use Redgate SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare (for synchronizing schemas and actual data respectively). It isn't free, the ROI could probably be measured in weeks rather than months!

Tony
    http://websql.blogspot.com/

Synchronize SQL databases

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

We've looked DBChangeManager - a very impressive tool. But we are looking for a component which we could embed into our solutions.
    The same is about Red Gate. We were not able to understand if it is can be embedded or not from its description.

I always use SQL Compare interactively - I've not felt the need to do otherwise.

There does seem to be an API though:

http://help.red-gate.com/help/SQLCom...tartedAPI.html

Looks like you need the toolkit for this:

http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Toolkit/index.htm

Yes, Red Gate's program is what we were looking for, but, unfortunately, all good things costs a lot. Maybe there are some alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanai
    Yes, Red Gate's program is what we were looking for, but, unfortunately, all good things costs a lot. Maybe there are some alternatives?
    I guess it depends what context you are working in. I've always thought many commercial organisations people can be disproportionately adverse to capital investment in software - they'd rather leave people to do jobs automatically that could be automated - people who's monthly salary probably costs several times the price of the software. In this particular case, I think you also have to factor in the additional accuracy of synchronizing automatically, with the possible reduction in bugs due to incomplete deployments to production.

True, it does seem like a lot of money if you are the one signing it off, but I think you have to take a step back and see if in the long run it makes sense to go ahead with it, on the grounds it will pay for itself in not very many months - that is the conclusion we came to.

That said, there do seem to be some other utilities around, e.g. http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/d...yP_NET_52244_p, but in this case I suspect it might be a matter of you get what you pay for.

Thank you very much for your suggestion, we will evaluate it.

Provided Answers: 2
    You might want to take a look at the ChangeManager, also (I think they have a free trial):

http://www.embarcadero.com/products/changemanager/