Unanswered: Cyclical Forwarding

I have been triyng to find an explanation for this error everywhere, but so far have been unsuccessful:

Code:
    Cyclical forwarding detected for event 17806: Event source was 'SP-MINCL-WDB04' which matches the current forwarding server. The event was not forwarded.
    Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks!
    Anthony Robinson

"If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please - with sugar on top..."

Provided Answers: 11
    I am guessing this is a Service Broker message. Does this show up just in the SQL errorlog?

Actually, the errors appeared in the SQLServerAgent error log...

The error is preceded by a "Fatal Error" message.
    Anthony Robinson

"If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please - with sugar on top..."

17806 appears to be related mainly to Kerberos authentication. Are you having any troubles with your domain controllers? Perhaps someone is rebooting them, when this error comes in? Kind of flailing around on this, admittedly.

Actually, we did have some issues with our domain controllers up to and including the period we were getting these messages...

Thanks!!

BTW - Where did you find that error/event code? I've searched for it everywhere!
    Anthony Robinson

Not seen it before, but there is some discussion here:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Foru...91440-9-1.aspx

Makes it sound like it isn't serious in itself.

Tony
    http://websql.blogspot.com

Sorry, but I'm not seeing anything about code 17806 or cyclical forwarding in the link you provided. The link you provided is a thread about a hung process id...
    Anthony Robinson

Oh, I see what I've done - the "parent" link was from here:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...cc643f3b26044d

It was referring to "cyclical forwarding" on a different event.

Are you aware of have event forwarding set up? It's not something I'm particularly familiar with, but there seems to be a decent explaination here:

http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.co...103932,00.html

I guess the message sounds like it refers to a mechanism not to forward an error event to the same server that event you're trying to forward refers to, on the grounds that possibly it's just going to keep on happening. 17806 does seem to refer to some sort of authentication issue - it's referred to here:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Foru...504-146-1.aspx

Just guessing, but have the login credentials for the forwarding server changed since it was set up perhaps? Maybe a password was changed?

Tony

I googled for "17806 SQL Server", and got a few leads showing that 17806 is related to authentication. I think the SQL Server team is really dropping the ball on error code explanations since SQL 2000. In SQL 2000, you could get information on the more common error messages, and what to do about them. In SQL 2005 Books Online: nothing.

I doubt the message was logged in SQL Errorlog, because sys.messages does not contain the message text specified. 17806 in sys.messages refers to SSPI handshake failure, which is what is probably logged in SQL, and still points to AD authentication issues.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."