Thread: ER Model

Unanswered: ER Model

I am making a small database about a small retail store. A fraction of it is displayed on the attachment. I have the entites Sale, Employee and Product. The Sale-Product relationship will consist of a list of sold products. My question is: Is it possible to make the number of columns in the table for the relationship variable, since every sale can have different number of products? Or can you suggest a better way of making this happen?
    thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ERModel.JPG  

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Design your application to Third Normal Form & you won't need a varying number of columns in any table.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

West Palm Beach, FL

On this site you can find a collection of data models which you can combine and customize for your purpose.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Liverpool, NY USA
    Have a child table to hold each item sold to the customer for the particular sale
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

First, thanks for the answers. The second one will be of a great help.

I looked through some of the models, and realized that the idea about a child table will do the job.
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by tashe; 04-18-08 at 15:40.