Unanswered: Sql server does not exitst or access denied,erro:10061

hi all,
    I have installed sql server 2000 personal on a pc running Windows XP service pack 2. I have set authentication to sql server and windows.

When I created a system dsn on the same machine it's working fine. But when I try to create a dsn from another machine on the same network, its giving error like "connection faile , error 10061, sql server does not exit or access denied."

I have truned off firewall on the server machine.

How can I get rid of this prbolem?
    Please help me

Thank you

Are you using TCP/IP for the connection? If so, does the name resolve on the client machine? (for example, try using "NSLOOKUP servername" from a command prompt to see if it gives anything). You could also try PINGing it (i.e. PING servername from the command prompt), or "TELNET servername 1433", which would normally give you a blank screen if it connects successfully (which can be a little difficult to get out of - just kill the DOS box).

Look at security log of the target server for successful/failed login attempt. Along with suggestions above you might just misspell the instance name (hey, I've seen it too many times not to point it out )
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Provided Answers: 6
    what the problem here? does it work after you turn off the firewall? if so all you have to do is create an exception in the firewall for port 1433 or whatever port you are using for sql server.

rdjabarov,
    its good to see you again sir.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Guys, thank you for your replies. I have truned off firewall also. I am more confused now. Please help me

Good to see you too, Thrasymachus.

Bishnu, have you checked the security log? You need to trace the connection attempt, and confirm that it leaves the footprint to begin with. Windows security log should be the first to be written to when "Test Connection" button is pressed from the client. Once you confirm that, you need to look at SQL errorlog (turn on Failed and Successful logins on the instance before that). The error you're getting is a clear indication that you SQL errorlog will be free from such entries, so you need to start with Windows security log.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

If you start a command prompt and type "NSLOOKUP <servername>", what exactly is the reply?

Cool Cheers !!!!!!!!!!

I would like to thank all people who tried to help me solve the problem. As I am new to SQL server, I coundn't understand the terms you described in the replies.

But my problem has been solved by reinstalling sql server on that machine, while installing I selected 'default instace name'. In previous installation I have given a name to that instance.

I don't know what difference does it exactly make.

Thank you all