Unanswered: Installing MSSQL 2000 Standard Edition 32 bit on a 64 bit node

Would there be any issues with installing an MSSQL 2000 32 bit instance onto a windows 2003 64 bit server?

No issues, just benefits. Your SQL process memory will double.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Provided Answers: 10
    I didn't think that the 32-bit architecture would be able to take advantage of the extra available memory? huh, who knew!
    George
    Home | Blog

thanks for the response. It wouldn't take advantage of the 64 bit architecture. I just want to make sure that it's ok to install a 32 bit instance on a 64 bit node. The existing application is only 32 bit and they'd prefer to stay that way, even though they're buying a 64 bit node.

Provided Answers: 54
    Under WOW64 a 32 bit TPA can grow to a bit less than 4 Gb. On a 32 bit system it can grow to either 2 Gb or 3 Gb depending on the combined configuration of the hardware and the software. That means that a 32 bit SQL process has a bunch more "elbow room" and it can also take advantage of much faster OS services.

The down side is that AWE isn't normally available, and if you choose to use it the configuration is an absolute pig. Any third party applications that run on the server (like backup utilities, etc) have to be able to either run as a 32 bit process in a separate WOW64 space, or they need to be 64 bit apps that know how to deal with a 32 bit version of SQL Server (which I've never seen).

All in all, this is a good thing. Even though it is a good thing, I would only treat it as a stepping stone to a full 64 bit configuration.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by rdjabarov
    No issues, just benefits. Your SQL process memory will double.
    The quote above denotes the ability to run 32-bit SQL on 64-bit OS. It does not imply that you will not have to review your integration packages and scheduled tasks, nor does it mean that "other" applications that you also intend to put on that box will not have potential issues if they are being referenced by SQL, especially if those apps are 64-bit. As I stated in another thread, there are still problems with 64-bit SQL, when it tries to call 64-bit OS-related executables. I have not tested the behavior of a 32-bit SQL in a similar situation, but I would watch out for that as well. In short, 32-bit SQL is fully capable to run on 64-bit OS, and will have 4GB of RAM available for process memory space instead of 2GB in 32-bit environment, but other things mentioned above need to be accounted for.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."