Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problems with xbox live (GRR)

Basically i have been trying to get on xbox live for about 4 months now and failing miserably each time.

I am connecting my xbox via ethernet through my computer.

On the xbox live test connection it fails at DNS.......

Has anyone got any ideas? Please

I think the problem is because it's connecting via your PC; it really needs to go straight into your router.
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    I think the problem is because it's connecting via your PC; it really needs to go straight into your router.
    SPEEDY RESPONSE !

But i have tried through the router, it still don't work, fails at dns

Who is your service provider? Have you checked with them? Perhaps XBox live has had issues with them and they are being blocked.

Dude, you HAVE to get on XBox live. It is too much fun.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

My ISP is Orange.

And whenever i phone them up i get some indian and he really annoys me and i get really stressed out, same goes with xbox support. They tell me the same blah over and over again and nothing works, they are probably found on the street and put in the offices.

Thats why i thought, theres probably plenty of experts on forums, so i joined this one :P

But any ideas how to fix? Lol

It has been over a year since I've had to work with a UK carrier, but doesn't Orange have a surcharge of about 5£ per month (to get a LiveBox) for an XBox connection?

-PatP

If its a DNS error then Id try either the IP Address of you rrouter.. it shoudl be the gateway tot eh outside world
    failing that id do a google search for the DNS servers for orange

because you are connecting an XBox it may be using a non standard port, do you may need to do some configuring on a firewall, especially if the firewall is in the router

as regards to any settings in the XBox.. you'd probably better ask on an XBox forum

Having recently had to install comms on a boat I can confirm that orange are without doubt the worst mobile operator Ive come across so far.... it took way to much time bouncing around their call handling system before I finally managed to speak to a barely comprehensible Indian call centre. I don't see it as the call centres fault, after all their English is a heck of a lot better than many English.. its just the pronunciation over mobile lines is damn difficult to pick up on

to cap it all most calls to customer services, thats their own customer services cost you money... typical French.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jackboy
    My ISP is Orange.

And whenever i phone them up i get some indian and he really annoys me and i get really stressed out, same goes with xbox support. They tell me the same blah over and over again and nothing works, they are probably found on the street and put in the offices.
    Oi you, Xbox UK customer support is fantastic; every time I have called them up (ok, it has been twice) they have been incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

It's been proven (in my mind) that the nicer you are to a CS representative, the better the response you will receive.

Have you tried setting your box up with a static IP, in fact, have you confirmed that your box can pick up an IP address automatically on your network?
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    Oi you, Xbox UK customer support is fantastic; every time I have called them up (ok, it has been twice) they have been incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

It's been proven (in my mind) that the nicer you are to a CS representative, the better the response you will receive.

Have you tried setting your box up with a static IP, in fact, have you confirmed that your box can pick up an IP address automatically on your network?
    I was nice to them the first 5 times i rang them

But i bought the router off of ebay, and it has no install disk... However it worked fine with my computer....

If i were to buy a livebox would that fix the problem do you think?

I've never attempted to hook up an XBox in the UK, much less using Orange, but I think that Orange views a LiveBox as a requirement for connecting an XBox. Check out this web page at Orange's site. Be forewarned though, that some folks have found getting an XBox connected via Orange to be quite a challenge, although The Scream seems to offer some helpful folks.

-PatP

Hehe, how sad is it that I can tell you what game is being played on the flash advert
    George
    Home | Blog

So to sum up the solution.

Buy a livebox and all will work?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackboy
    Buy a livebox and all will work?
    That's what Orange said on their web site. I haven't been there or tried it, so all I can do is tell you what I dimly remember and Orange confirms.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    That's what Orange said on their web site. I haven't been there or tried it, so all I can do is tell you what I dimly remember and Orange confirms.

-PatP
    Ok, it would be best if i confirm with orange about it yeh?

And thanks alot for your help

I'd definiely at least talk to Orange before I bought a LiveBox. They're selling the LiveBox, so you need to keep that in mind when they suggest buying one, but I actually think that they've done something to make it technically easier to connect a gaming console (like an X-Box or a PS/3) when you use their LiveBox.

I find that behavior noxious at face value, but there could be a good reason for it so I wouldn't pitch a fit.

One thing that I would do if I were you is to tell them up front that the reason you're willing to buy a LiveBox is to connect your gaming console even though you already have your PC working. I'd ask the salesperson point blank if you can return the LiveBox if it does not help get your console connected. They may say no (they might not even have the authority to say yes), but I'd ask them the question anyway.

-PatP