Unanswered: Question From a Newbie

Hello everyone I have just joined DBFORUMS and it looks like a place with a wealth of information!

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but anyway here it goes.

I have a fantasy baseball website for my league.

There are 13 teams with 25 players for each team. Each player has a contract value and length.

What I am trying to do is create a database that can be accessed on the webpage. I want to create a "Trade Machine"

The specific functionality I would like is the following.

I want the users to be able to select their team and it will bring up their current players, contract length, and contract value.

For example user selects Team A from a drop down box and it will populate a field with all of Team A players.

User then selects Team B and it will populate a field with all of Team B Players.

I then want the user to be able to select specific players from Team A and Team B, then hit a trade button which will bring up another page or box which shows what would happen if they made this trade.

IE: Who would be on their team now, what their total contract value would be etc.

What I have typed above is very vague and I would like alot more, but I am just not sure in which direction I should go to learn about Databases, and implementing them onto a web page.

So I suppose my question is what resources would you recommend for me to study up on.

What software, programs would I need?

Would this be a very difficult thing to do? or is there a program out their that would assist me in this?

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 11
    It is a little open ended. The gist of the trade evaluation system you described is probably best done without a database, as the changes will likely last only for the duration of the web session. I am not sure what the best way to handle those changes would be, but I think "Session Variables" is a term that would get you started there. I am sure Apache and IIS treat them separately, then there are all the differences between CGI, PHP, Python, ASP, ASP.NET, and who knows what else. I am fairly sure there are a few sites out there that run on FORTRAN, so there is a wide range of options there..

Thanks for the response MCrowley.

I would think that I would need a database though.

I want the other members in the league just to use it just as a web session, but when a trade actually does happen I would like to be able to enter it myself in the database so it would be updated on the web.

You may choose a db base on your requirement first,then realize the access from web service(.net etc).some tables will be created to display content in the web page,or some function or storage procedure to complete the specific operation you need.

web program,sql ,that's all you need.