Question Unanswered: Runstats : is there a way to monitor?

Hello everyone,

First off, we're using DB2 8.1.7 on Linux.

We use the dabase to store a data warehouse. We're about to do a major load of data, something like 7 years, that will run for about 20 to 25 days. The data is divided in months, so each data-month is a cycle, blah, blah, blah.

Every now and then, we need to do a Runstats on the tables to keep performance during the loads to help Informatica do its thing.

Is there a way to know, using the Health Monitor or some other tools, that the Runstats have to be executed? Is there some kind of alerts that we can set up?

The thing is that when we run the Runstats it takes time and if we could only run it when we need it instead of at the end of every cycle, we might save a few days in the end.

When we move to production and the ETL jobs run periodically, we don't care if the Runstats are executed everyday.

Thanks a lot.

JFS.

am I reading it correct that you need to have an upto date stats to help load data?

btw. is that 650 or 1k sv?
    --
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Yes, you're reading correctly, but the thing is that we want to execute the runstats when needed. Since this operation can take a while, we don't want to run it every cycle (2 or 3 times a day), but only when take the time to do it when it is needed (something like every other cycle). So if we could have a way to monitor the statistics state, it would help the over all load time. We do the Runstats on 2 schemas in the same database.

To answer your question, when I first registered here it was a 650... went on to an F4i (stolen) then a ZX7R (now osed as a track bike) and now a 1000 2006. The SV1KS is the besk bike I've owned.

I am not sure how current stats will help to speed up your load, but if you still interested in keeping stats upto date. youwould have to write a script that checks record count in the table currently with card column value and if there is more then 15-20% diff do stats.

Stats are not a golden bullet. i have seen way too manyt people spend too much time concentrating on stats then on real problem

zx7 should be fun on the track. What tracks have youbeen too? Are you going to a GP in Indy this year? I have an 07 fjr at the moment
    --
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Thanks. We thought about the 15%-20%.

I live in Montréal (Québec), so no, I won't go to the Indy GP, but I'd love to. There are many small tracks not to far. Unfortunately, we can't use the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. When it is not used for major events, like F1 or Nascar or Champ Car, it is only for bicycles and roller blades...

The other "real" track we have close by is at Mont-Tremblant, you might know about it it is a famous track. F1 cars used to go there before the track in Montréal, last year there was a race in the Champ Car series. I'm going to that track 2 days in August.