Thread: SQL Problems

Unanswered: SQL Problems

We've had a Paradox 9 system running using SQL 2000 for years. We only write to SQL for Intermediate tables for other systems.

It's always been a tad slow writing to SQL mainly because the server not just ran SQL but also File and Print.

We've moved the SQL databases to a new dedicated SQL server which is fast as hell.... However, when Paradox is accessing the server it hangs for like 20 minutes

Any ideas as to why this would be? We can query with SQL Enterprise Manager no problem, it's only when Paradox is accessing the records. We've never come across anything like this before and it's causing some major grief on the system!

If you have any ideas, I'd be really grateful!

Thanks!

We've moved the SQL databases to a new dedicated SQL server

many possible issues.. more details needed.. SQL Server? MS-SQL? what version? what hardware? what Paradox queries? etc, etc..

as always, most of the remaining Paradox support experts are found on the community newsgroup, not here.. see my Links page..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

SQL 2000, it's not just Paradox Queries that fail / lock up but also Tcursors, especially when doing a locate.

The strange thing is this worked for years on the old box, but this super duper new piece of kit (Dell Server, 2 x 2.8 GHZ CPU's)

We have other apps conversing with SQL and it's perfectly fine, the server never really breaks a sweat so I know its running great. It's just Paradox.

Can't think of anything else and it's doing my head in!

it's not just Paradox Queries that fail / lock up but also Tcursors, especially when doing a locate

tcursors on the paradox tables?.. I thought you meant you were having problems accessing the SQL data..

well, the timing could be a coincidence, if the following is the source:

paradox indexes become problematic when the table size gets past 1/2 of the potential max size, for the current block size.. i.e. 2K blocks allow max table size of 128 meg, and issues start at 64 meg of data.. and with heavy fragmentation, that point could come sooner..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Tcursors on the SQL tables Steve.

We've never had any major issues accessing them on the old SQL Server, which was Windows 2000 SP4.

This new box is Windows 2003, fully patched to the hilt.

That's the only major difference we can spot is the OS. Would this make any sense?

Could it be ODBC issue causing this?

Tcursors on the SQL tables

that's generally not recommended.. you should post this on the web forum of the community newsgroup, as suggested yesterday..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Will do!

Thanks, as ever