Thread: groupss

Unanswered: groupss

hello,

in any social networking site there are "groups" where it contains a basic structural layout of how each group wants to be and the only difference between them is the name and content in them. how wouuld i structure this basic layout if i kno what i want? lets just say i wanted to have a framed forum on the left and i wanted a picture of the giants on the right, how would i make it so that everytime someone fills out a form, there will be a framed forum on the right and a giants picture on the right and the group be stored in the database and all of that?

forum

if you wanted to have mulitple forums on your website, would this be a good way to organize it in one table

FORUMS
    _______
    ID
    GROUPID
    THREADID
    THREADTITLE
    THREADTEXT
    _______

also how can you make a framed forum out of this?

Nope. Thread attributes have nothing to do with forums.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

what does GROUPID do?

what is a "framed" forum?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

how would you structure the layout if you know what you want?

that depends on what you want

what's a framed forum? what is a giant?

what does filling out the form have to do with the table layouts?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

nah i mean like you kno like a facebook group you fill out the form and it gives a basic layout with the announcements at teh top and the forum at the bottom. how can you structure that layout automatically once someone fills out the name they want for the group and how can you "generate that group where a group is automatically named and put in the database?

that sounds like a web development and web programming problem, not a mysql problem
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Provided Answers: 10
    state your scripting language of choice and this thread will move appropriately

(Unless of course you can persuade us that this is the correct topic for it to be in!)
    George
    Home | Blog

move it where the topic shall match

Quote Originally Posted by bardell38
    move it where the topic shall match
    okay, fine

moving thread to coldfusion forum

you really do want to use coldfusion, it is da bomb!!!
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

if i wanted to create groups like for example on a social networking site every group has teh same layout right like the positioning of the forum and the pictures and all of that. how would i create a default basic layout for that whenever a user fills out a form?

a framed forum is like this
    http://www.silive.com/forums/rosebank

do you think that i can create individual forums based on the groups that people makes? like if someone wanted to create a giants group then they would just have to fill out a form and a framed forum and other components would be in teh same layout as any other group.

Forget about framed forums for now. That question is a million miles from the database design. Sort out the design then go to some webby site (or the php, .NET etc sections here) to figure out frames.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

groupss

okay,

every social networking site has what you call groups. places that people can join based on a specific topic and name. if a user were to fill out a form saying that he wanted a group called WORKING OUT then a group would be created and the people who would join would discuss the topic in the group. im making a social networking site of my own similar to myspace, i was just wondering how do you setup a layout of this group where i can position the forum where i want it to be and the announcements table etc. when i create a form for them to fill out and they submit it, how would i be able to have it automatically create a group based on the template layout i selected for all groups to have?

Quote Originally Posted by bardell38
    okay,

every social networking site has what you call groups. places that people can join based on a specific topic and name. if a user were to fill out a form saying that he wanted a group called WORKING OUT then a group would be created and the people who would join would discuss the topic in the group. im making a social networking site of my own similar to myspace, i was just wondering how do you setup a layout of this group where i can position the forum where i want it to be and the announcements table etc. when i create a form for them to fill out and they submit it, how would i be able to have it automatically create a group based on the template layout i selected for all groups to have?
    Im confused

Wouldn't it just create a group in the GROUPS table in mysql db and then have the default layout with it?...