Lightbulb Unanswered: Moving databases to other Storage

Hello,

We need more space for our databases, they're reaching 99% of our capacity.

So we contracted a new Storage.

I've to move my DBs from the actual Storage to the new Storage.

How can i do this safely??

I think to make a full backup and restore it on the new Storage. But i never restored an backup, so im not sure if this is going to work.

Someone has any suggestion?!?

Thanks, and sorry my poor english

Hello,

Take a level 0 backup of the current instance and then bring informix down(note down all the LVs used by informix along with the size). Delete all the LVs used by informix. Create the new LVs (with the same old names and same sizes) on the new storage space. Restore from tape (should be a cold restore). Informix only looks for the LVs with the identical names.

Hope it helps.

Nitin

Hi,

Or create a new layout and run restore with rename this spaces. (Depending on version of IDS)
    Or create a new layout, run utility onload of database next onunlod to new layout.
    Now, i suggest that create layout on raw-devices, use simbolics links to raw-devices.

Gustavo.

Hi Patrybr

How are your devices configuration?
    What OS?
    What Informix Version?
    Do you use links to devices?
    Do you use LVM ?
    Do you access your chunks as cooked file or raw device?
    Will you have the 2 storages connected and configured at the same time on the machine?
    How much time do you have to keep the database offline ?
    How big is your database?

There are a lot ways to do this..
    But it all depend on what version of IDS and OS you work and how is your configuration (link, raw, cooked file).

Some examples:
    - like Gustavo and nitin said...
    - If you are using raw + links + LVM , just create new LVs and copy all data with "dd" command (with database off line), and remake your links.
    - If you are using raw + links + LVM , do a backup level 0, put offline, recreate your links to new devices, restore de database.
    - If you are using cooked file, just create a new file system (without journaling) and copy (cp) your files... remount on the same path used before and start you database
    - if you need to avoid keep your database offline, you can create a mirror of all chunks (temporally), put off line the principal chunks, remake the links to new device and put it online again and finally remove the mirror, all this with database online.

there are lots of ways ... just answer the questions above, so we can help you.
    Last edited by ceinma; 05-11-08 at 22:27.
    http://www.imartins.com.br/informix - English (translated by Google).

Hello ceinma,

The storages ( Actual: SYMM, New: CLARIION ) are connected to my server ( Fujitsu Primepower 850 Machine ) over HBAs using fibers. I use EMC Powerpath.

The server is running a Solaris 5.8:
    % uname -a
    SunOS metrica 5.8 Generic_117350-45 sun4us sparc FJSV,GPUZC-M

And Informix version:
    IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 9.30.FC6X1 -- On-Line -- Up 15 days 23:45:55 -- 11246592 Kbytes

Yes, i use link to my devices and i acees they as raw devices.

The 2 storages are now connected and configured together on the machine on 2 different HBAs. After the transfer is succesfully complete, the old Storage will be disconnected.

The less time the DB be offline better. And the size of the DB is about 500GB actually, 1,5TB after this changes.

All help are welcome, tks by now

Quote Originally Posted by ceinma
    Hi Patrybr

How are your devices configuration?
    What OS?
    What Informix Version?
    Do you use links to devices?
    Do you use LVM ?
    Do you access your chunks as cooked file or raw device?
    Will you have the 2 storages connected and configured at the same time on the machine?
    How much time do you have to keep the database offline ?
    How big is your database?

There are a lot ways to do this..
    But it all depend on what version of IDS and OS you work and how is your configuration (link, raw, cooked file).

Some examples:
    - like Gustavo and nitin said...
    - If you are using raw + links + LVM , just create new LVs and copy all data with "dd" command (with database off line), and remake your links.
    - If you are using raw + links + LVM , do a backup level 0, put offline, recreate your links to new devices, restore de database.
    - If you are using cooked file, just create a new file system (without journaling) and copy (cp) your files... remount on the same path used before and start you database
    - if you need to avoid keep your database offline, you can create a mirror of all chunks (temporally), put off line the principal chunks, remake the links to new device and put it online again and finally remove the mirror, all this with database online.

there are lots of ways ... just answer the questions above, so we can help you.