Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Auto Increment on Non PK column

How can I put an Auto increment on a non PK field?
    for ordering contents items?

Provided Answers: 10
    You just create an identity field..
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE dbf (
       some_field char(10) PRIMARY KEY
     , identity_field int identity(1,1)
    )
    George
    Home | Blog

What If I already have a Identity field in the table as the PK, which is need as a Foreign key on a Join within the table? I know I could build a trigger to do max(field), but this might be slow, not sure, am I able to have two identity fields in the table?

Why would you need two different identity columns?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

...and now that I think about, why would you ever want to order items by an identity?
    Your business requirements sound totally f'd up.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

how about a calculated column which is just equal to the PK identity column.

I know I could build a trigger to do max(field), but this might be slow, not sure, am I able to have two identity fields in the table?
    I did this once and I think the trigger pulled it from the PK's identity field, but in that case they were functionally related. Or maybe it was procedural code... Another option is to create a dummy table with its own identity field, and just immediately delete the useless rows. It's silly, but it'll work.

...and now that I think about, why would you ever want to order items by an identity?
    Your business requirements sound totally f'd up.
    I include myself in this indictment because I've done it plenty of times and I was initially going to say "get Oracle and use sequences": Why do we answer a "how do I do X with Y" with "X is a stupid idea" or "don't use Y, use Z"? I mean, we're engineers here, why can't we give a body a straight answer?

You can't have two identites on a single table since identity is a table property. I too would ask why you need a second one - why not use the PK? Perhaps some DDL, sample data and expected return might help us understand what you are trying to do - there might be a better way.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by sco08y
    Why do we answer a "how do I do X with Y" with "X is a stupid idea" or "don't use Y, use Z"? I mean, we're engineers here, why can't we give a body a straight answer?
    Well the straight answer is "you can't do X with Y. Next!". We need to probe requirements to see if we can come up with something that will meet these.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Well the straight answer is "you can't do X with Y. Next!". We need to probe requirements to see if we can come up with something that will meet these.
    That's very true, given that a timely negative can save a lot of fruitless searching. I think the dummy table technique should do what he wants, though.