Unanswered: inconsistent result of sybase linked server

help...

i successfully linked the sybase database to sqlserver. at first i can select a record, after i execute the same statement the result become different. i was looking for answer in the web but i can't find one. can somebody help me...

i suspect that sqlserver cache the result.. so i try to create a view for sybase database table. when i select the view it gave me the complete result but when i rerun the statement again it became inconsistent.

is there a cache or something in sqlserver. if there is how can i clear it.. so i will always get the fresh copy of the result.

Provided Answers: 6
    read the instructions in the sticky at the top of the forum. post your code, ddl and sample data.

[thinking out loud]
    what is the isolation level of the sybase server and the sql server and how do they work with each other over a linked server?
    [/thinking out loud]
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Default isolation level used to be read committed, but now I am not sure.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

I have this exact issue. Does anybody have a solution?

When we set up a sybase linked server connection on our Sql Server 2000 database, simple (and complex) queries do not return consistent results.

For instance:
    Select * from sybaselinkedserver.dbo.smalltable

This might return all 10 rows the first time. Then return 6 rows the next. Then 1 row. Then all 10 again.

This is a major issue for us. Why aren't more people talking about this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

MS is ignoring most of our talk here. In fact, they are even ignoring the internal talk that raises various bugs. A year ago (while with MS) I pointed out the problem with Excel linked server, where the MSDASQL prodiver will literally change the values for certain columns. I see this bug even now, in 2K8, which means the issue was ignored back then and was left unsolved.

Provided Answers: 6
    they are not bugs. they are future product enhancements or potential opportunities for consulting work.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

And with that, - do not touch Excel, it's my baby...well, and Rudy's, of course