Thread: Schema Tools

Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Schema Tools

Are there any free tools for comparing database schema's i.e. the same database against different versions on different servers?

Or is there a tool in Management Studio which will highlight any differences between the databases?

Provided Answers: 6
    VS2005 for DB professionals has a a built in compare tool. It would not be hard to write a query to compare table structures using the information schema views. I imagine you need something more extensive than that.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 1
    Ive seen tools that compare the schema, highlighting only differences, then providing the SQL that bring the two schema to the same level, an alter create or delete statement usually,

Shoud have been more clear, if the tool produces the sql to update schemas it would be alot more useful, though seeing the differences would be helpful.

So theres components/controls in VS2005 that would help me construct this?

Provided Answers: 6
    VS2005 for Database Professionals has functionality akin to Redgates SQL Compare, but I have not test drove it. I am sure there is a freeware something or other on the internet.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

VSTS DB Pros is now called "VSTS Database Edition"
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts...b/default.aspx

Red Gate Compare is a better option if you don't intend to use Studio or TFS:
    http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Compare/index.htm