Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Backup on a Network Share

Hello,

I am trying to backup a database with a command like:

BACKUP DATABASE my DataBase TO DISK = '\\bkSystem\bkDisk\Backup1.bak'

but I get the error 'Cannot open backup device '\\bkSystem\bkDisk\Backup1.bak'. Device error or device off-line.
    The bkDisk folder is shared, with Everyone full-control access (it's a test environment)

MS SQL 2000.

Provided Answers: 6
    map a drive. use the mapped drive instead of the unc.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Thanks for your reply.
    Unfortunately I don't have physical access to the server machine (but only to the SQL Server) so I am not able to map a drive.

Provided Answers: 6
    ok. then contact someone who does.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

ok. sorry I wasn't more clear.
    I am in a test environment with an application which needs to create a database backup on a client folder. Because I don't know how will be the production environment, I don't want to depend on some server characteristics, so I made the assumption that I don't have access to it (and at some customers I really don't).
    That's why I think the mapping solution it is not a suitable one.

Provided Answers: 11
    The problem is that either the path given is incorrect, or the SQL Server service account has no rights to write to that share. From the error message, I would check the path first.

The path is correct.
    In the meantime, this link:
    http://www.fmsinc.com/freE/NewTips/SQL/SQLtip9.asp
    clarified the thinks for me. Now I have to see what I will do.

What?

No room on the local drive?

Unless I'm jacked up, I always dump locally

you can always move it

How big is the db?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 11
    You should be happy about SQL 2008, then. They are introducing native compression of backups. It will probably run the CPU up a bit for the duration of the backup, but it saved me about 60% in my first test.

I believe MCrowley backs up across the network so on that basis alone it is worthy of consideration.

The link you posted is rather one sided however. We backed up to a SAN for some time. The problem (especially when the backups are measued in TB so the window of disopportunity is larger) is that a slight network blip b0rks the whole thing. I still prefer backing up locally and copying across. IME a network connection is more fragile than a disc. Another advantage of backing up locally and copying across is, once complete, you have two copies. Further, when it comes to restore (assuming you want to restore the last backup) you already have it locally. We only keep the one backup locally - we have a few days on the SAN, the remainder on tape.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Yes, a locally backup seems to be the obvious solution. However, somebody here thought that a network backup is a better solution - so I started to dig up.
    Anyway, thanks for your advises.