Unanswered: Oracle connect failed on x64 and IA64 platform via Oracle OLEDB provider

Hi everyone,

I installed SQL Server on x64 and IA64 machine, and Create a database via Oracle datasource(The data source is Oracle92 installed on another machine). I can connect the datasource via Oracle OLEDB and .Net provider successfully on x86 machine. But failed to connect the Oracle datasource on x64 and IA64.

Here is the error message: Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. ORA-06413:

It is said that the SQL Server application was under the path which includes parentheses (like the path c:\Program Files (x86)\...), and it is an Oracle bug. And I downloaded 10203 (it is said that this provider should fix the Oracle bug) for IA64 machine and tested connection on SQL Server with Oracle datasource via Oracle OLEDB provider, and got the following error:

Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation.

Does it mean that the Oracle bug has been fixed and I got the error above because the datasource should be Oracle10, not Oracle92? Who can tell me How to work around this error in the client if I cannot do any change on the Oracle server?

Thanks
    Winnie
    Last edited by winniewang; 05-06-08 at 06:03.

Sounds like somethings gone wrong with your Oracle client install. Is the path to the oracle bin directory valid and is it in the PATH variable?

Alan

I got the same error and moved/installed the application (that connects to oracle) from Program Files (xx) folder to another folder in D drive... it worked

I know, it will work if I move my application out of "Program Files (xx) folder", but the application I'm using is SQL Server...., it is really a mess job to move it out of that folder. Or you can tell me how to move it out of that folder which file should be moved....

Just now, I installed 10203 on x64 machine, and still got the error message below
    Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. ORA-06413:

Seems that 10203 doesn't work. Or I installed the provider with wrong step?

10203 was got from the url http://www.oracle.com/technology/sof...bit/index.html

Thanks
    Winnie
    Last edited by winniewang; 05-07-08 at 05:13.