Unanswered: chart reporting method

I have an access application -- what I mean is that I have tables, forms, queries and reports. I think they are working pretty well.

Now, my report is just like a Word document.

I like to branch out and generate some kind of "Chart" report. I know access has Pivotchart and I can use it on a query. I know I can use it on query but I have never done one as I am still trying to figure it out how and where to put the values into where? very confusing to me right now. Anyway, can anyone point me to some examples as to how to do that?

What I mean is that I would like to create a form (like a search form) and when user input all the search value(s), a pivotchart will show up. Like when a user input Mary Lee as requestor (a field in my table) and the month of April (a field in my table), a pivotchart will pop up with ONE bar with Mary Lee as y-axis and April as x-axis and the height will be the number of Change Control From Mary Lee has submitted in the month of April.

Thanks

Thanks

sounds like you could do with a normal chart, vs a pivot chart. Why is mary lee on the y axis? You mean like the chart Title? Create your query that pulls all the information you need, and then create a new form. the form wizard should pop up, and you can select Chart from the list. It will guide you through selecting your fields and choosing your graph.

what i usually do (and this may not be the best approach) is create the query, create the graph, and then make the code behind the button on the form change the query sql to reflect choices made on the form before it opens the graph. make sense?
    Last edited by jmahaffie; 05-09-08 at 15:31.

Like doing a search? Let user input the right kind of data and then run the query and then create the graph?

That sounds good and I will try that.

You are right, Mary Lee is not on the y axis, it is more like the filter for the chart. Anyway, I will try your method and see how it goes.

thanks