Thread: Pdoxusrs.lck

Unanswered: Pdoxusrs.lck

I have been developing a project in VB.Net, and as a result of trying to access the flat files existing in at the back end of an application. I successfully accessed the files after setting up the ODBCs. I used various extraction methods like live linking to Access, but this caused conflicts and other problems but nothing too major but was not a feasible approach. After many other methods I applied my efforts towards doing it in datasets and sheets on a VB.Net application. But as soon as I access the files, the application threw up an error that PDOXUSRS.LCK was created and locked all users out of the application. Fixing this was fairly straight forward, but does anyone know of a way to keep this from occuring?

but does anyone know of a way to keep this from occuring?

sorry.. the crystal ball is in the shop this week.. without seeing your code, or the exact error, all we can do is guess.. are you using Paradox and/or dBase tables?

also, this question belongs on your VB.net forum.. I can tell you at great length how the BDE works natively, setting locks and controlling multi-user access, but not a clue as to how your VB app would do it..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

It was all done with connection strings basically. I know what BDE does, just no idea how to change it. I created ODBCs to the Paradox databases and everything but nothing stops the Paradox database from creating the .LCK file.

It was all done with connection strings basically. I know what BDE does, just no idea how to change it. I created ODBCs to the Paradox databases and everything but nothing stops the Paradox database from creating the .LCK file.

I created ODBCs to the Paradox databases and everything but nothing stops the Paradox database from creating the .LCK file.

that is correct.. when working with the BDE and Paradox tables, that is automatic, and necessary.. your issue, evidently, is that the 'sharing' is not mapped correctly and/or not consistantly..

again, you haven't posted any clues or details..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

There is no hints and clues, all the work i did, all the links had to be severed from the file so they are useless and have been deleted. I am simply looking for some advice on ensuring future attempts are more successful. I know it's got to do with the BDE and users accessing the linked data. We are trying to extract from a system called Q-Pulse.

all I can do is explain how the BDE works.. totally generic help..

first, you tell the BDE where to put the 'net' file.. the network control file.. all shared use *must* point to that file using the exact same path/mapping.. not just 'it resolves to the same place'.. it must be exactly the same..

all access within a folder is handled by the lock files that the BDE puts in the folders.. the "exact same" rule applies here, too.. if any user is using a different net file, or mapped to the data differently, it keeps him and/or everyone else out..

when done correctly, all shared use is strictly controlled.. table, record, and field level control..

without details, there's not much else that can be offered.. don't know what was wrong, why it was wrong, what version of what tools are being used, what code was running, what errors were triggered, etc., etc., etc.. no way of "ensuring future attempts are more successful" if we don't know what you're doing.. good luck..
    --

Oasis Trading Post