Unanswered: Sybase ASE ODBC issue

I have a user who has Windows XP and uses MS Access to make an ODBC connection to a Sybase database. The ODBC driver is Sybase ASE 4.20.00.15.

When I try to set up a connection on his PC, I can see all the tables, but after pick one, I get "Reserved Error (-7748); there is no message for this error", and I get no data. If I try to make a connection using this driver on my PC, I get the same error. He is able to retrieve data through Excel using this driver.

Everyone else uses the Sybase System 11 ODBC driver, which works. It's my understanding that Sybase System 11 isn't compatible with Windows XP, though.

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

Provided Answers: 4
    A quick google on the erro got me this link. Don't know if it will help, but you can always try. Maybe other google-hits can provide more info.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

I did find this shortly after I posted here. Thanks. I can query but I am having performance problems with an insert query that selects from the linked Sybase table. Seems like some sort of Access bug.

You could check if it is Access by trying to execute the same query with i.e. SQL Advantage, isql or any other querytool. That way you eliminate Access, and if the query runs smoothly that way, access probalby is the culprit.

INSERT INTO advcash_trades_staging
    SELECT trim(str(acctnumb)) AS stracctnumb, *
    FROM dbo_pdp_cash_valuables
    WHERE effective_date=datevalue("05/13/2008") And (buyer_mnemonic='ADVCASH' Or seller_mnemonic='ADVCASH')
    ORDER BY trade_date DESC;

Here's the query. dbo_pdp_cash_valuables is a link to a table that is in a Sybase database. advcash_trades_staging is a local table in Access. I can query the select part with no problem, but the Insert does not complete on this user's PC. Again this user is running Windows XP with Sybase ASE ODBC driver. The two other users who have working queries have Windows 2000 with Sybase System 11 ODBC driver. I have tried removing the string conversion function, but the insert never happens. I have tried SELECT INTO and creating the table on the fly, but that doesn't work either. There's really no way to run the insert part of the query outside of Access. I think it is clear it is an Access problem of some sort.

You can omit the ORDER BY-clause. It doesn't matter in what order you insert the data. When you retrieve the data from advcash_trades_staging, you can specify an ORDER-cause.
    I can't guarantee that that is the problem, but it certainly can save time, especially with big resultsets.

Thanks, but we tried that already. It's not exactly a slowness issue -- we don't ever succeed in getting the result inserted. But I can do a select and successfully retrieve the data.

We upgraded the Sybase ASE odbc driver to version 5 and it works now.

"We upgraded the Sybase ASE odbc driver to version 5 and it works now"

Hi guys thanks for this, i saw that you eventually resolved it by upgrading but just wondered if you ever figured out a way to fix it without the upgrade??

Thanks in advance for your response