Thread: Bleeding Tables

Unhappy Unanswered: Bleeding Tables

This is the second time I've experienced this problem. I'm running 6 systems sharing an NAS-hosted back end database. Fields from one table are bleeding into other, non-associated tables. (??!!!!)

Here's today's example:

tblOut -> Fields: LoadID, Customer, Carrier, Date, Notes . . .
    tblOrders -> Fields: PO, Customer, ShipTo, DateEntered, Notes . . .

tblOut is Joined on 'LoadID' to tblOutDetails, integrity enforced
    tblOrders is Joined on 'PO' to tblOrdDetails, integrity enforced

It became obvious this afternoon that our inventory numbers were jacked up. I investigated, and found that the record count in tblOut had gone from 1,159 to 1,095. What's more, I had 352 records in tblOut where the LoadID had been randomly replaced by values from the PO field in tblOrders. tblOut.Customer was replaced by values from tblOrders.Customer, and tblOut.Carrier was replaced by values from tblOrders.ShipTo. tblOut.Notes (memo) fields were randomly filled with Chinese graphemes, and unintelligible characters. Referential integrity between tblOut and tblOutDetails had been corrupted, so Access killed the association. If I opened datasheet view and tried to zoom to the last record in tblOut, I received 4 'bad bookmark' errors, then all fields were replaced by #Error.

Has anyone experienced this? I don't know what's causing it. I'm afraid this thing's gonna bleed out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails relationships.gif  
    Last edited by mattyd83; 05-14-08 at 19:16.

Provided Answers: 10
    Ugh, I hate having to give this answer again: have you tried a compact and repair?

Can you explain what you mean by "NAS-hosted backend database"?
    George
    Home | Blog

I did. Actually, I'm a bit suspicious that the compact and repair feature cause the problem..

By NAS-hosted... I mean that I'm running a Thecus Network Attached Storage device, which basically amounts to a small unit running an Intel processor dedicated to managing two raid hard drives. It's been very reliable for us.

Thanks for the reply

Provided Answers: 10
    Assuming the backend is an Access one, right?
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 19
    You may be right, mattyd83! Compact & Repair is considered by many to be a major cause of corruption. The problem is so bizarre I really can't imagine this to be anything except corruption! C&R should always be preceded by backing up the database.

Before doing anything else you need to back the app up; if your damage is serious enough, data-wise, and you need to use a recovery service, the less done to the db after the problem arises the better. Sadly, C&R often makes the original problem worse.

You might try the old "create a blank db and import everything into it" routine.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007