Unanswered: DTS export in sql server 2000

Hi,
    I want to export the table data of a database in sql server 2000 to a text file.Is there a way I can do it through some query or command line. If yes can anyone tell me the query. I would like to avoid doing it through UI.

Regards,
    Seena

Certainly!

From BOL:

bcp Utility
    The bcp utility copies data between an instance of Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000 and a data file in a user-specified format.

Syntax
    bcp {[[database_name.][owner].]{table_name | view_name} | "query"}
    {in | out | queryout | format} data_file
    [-m max_errors] [-f format_file] [-e err_file]
    [-F first_row] [-L last_row] [-b batch_size]
    [-n] [-c] [-w] [-N] [-V (60 | 65 | 70)] [-6]
    [-q] [-C code_page] [-t field_term] [-r row_term]
    [-i input_file] [-o output_file] [-a packet_size]
    [-S server_name[\instance_name]] [-U login_id] [-P password]
    [-T] [-v] [-R] [-k] [-E] [-h "hint [,...n]"]

For example, the Northwind database has the table Jane's Orders, which is owned by user Jane Doe. To bulk copy this table from the Northwind database to the Orders.txt file using the login Jane Doe and the password go dba, execute one of these commands:

bcp "Northwind.Jane Doe.Jane's Orders" out "Jane's Orders.txt" -c -q -U"Jane Doe" -P"go dba"

bcp "Northwind.[Jane Doe].[Jane's Orders]" out "Jane's Orders.txt" -c -U"Jane Doe" -P"go dba"

Delimiter seperation

Hi,
    Thanks for the help. I am able to get the data in text file. Just a small doubt

Can I seperate the column values by a delimiter like a comma?

Try this.....

Code:
    bcp pubs..jobs out c:\jobs.txt /c /t , /r \n /Sservername /Usa /Ppassword
    Replace the comma above with whatever terminator you want to see in its place.

Column names

Hi,
    Thanks for the help
    I was able to use another delimiter using -t , in the syntax of bcp.
    One more small doubt- I have written a command for bcp using query as follows

bcp "select CustomerID from Northwind.dbo.Customers" queryout c:\tablepuge\r
    esultdata.csv -t , -T -c

I am able to get the customerid in the table to a .csv file correctly. I wanted to know is there a way I can get the column name also in this file so that the ids come below the column name in this case customerid

bcp command to get column names

Hi,
    I am using the following bcp command in a batch file

bcp "select CustomerID from Northwind.dbo.Customers" queryout c:\tablepuge\r
    esultdata.csv -t , -T -c

I am getting all the column values in the .csv file. Is there a way i can get the column names also written to the .csv file?

It's a pain in the pooper this is. There are a few ways. All are bodges to a greater or lesser degree. The easiest is to output a sort of specification file from the system tables if that is agreeable. If not, how high tech are you prepared to go?

Provided Answers: 10
    Threads merged
    George
    Home | Blog

You can hard code the names, but I'd advise against it. It's just not a very elegant solution.

But if you need a quick bandaid for this issue....

Code:
    IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sysobjects WHERE name='vJobs') DROP VIEW [dbo].[vJobs]
    GO
    CREATE VIEW [dbo].[vJobs]
    AS
    SELECT 'job_id' AS job_id, 'job_desc' AS job_desc, 'min_lvl' AS min_lvl, 'max_lvl' AS max_lvl
    UNION ALL
    SELECT CAST(job_id AS CHAR(6)), CAST(job_desc AS VARCHAR(60)), CAST(min_lvl AS VARCHAR(60)), CAST(max_lvl AS VARCHAR(60))
    FROM [dbo].[jobs]
    Then use bcp to give you the output....

Code:
    bcp pubs..vJobs out c:\jobs.txt /c /t , /r \n /SServerName /Usa /PPassword
    I'm sure there's a way to do this using syscolumns coupled with sysobjects. I just wasn't able to put one together before my first cup of coffee.

I've never used format files with bcp, so Pootle's suggestion might be the best one here.