Thread: max connection

Unanswered: max connection

All ,
    I have set MAX_CONNECTION to 2 in dbm cfg file , and opened four CLP and executed big queries and i thought during my 3/4 connection it willl throw error l , but not got any error

, could someone explain how MAX_CONNECTION works in dbm cfg file..

This is windows V8.2 with fixpack 14

Thanks in Advance

Provided Answers: 1
    For the change to take effect the instance must be restarted.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

I have done the db2stop and db2start before doing this and confirmed by retreving dbm cfg file and it doesn;t help me.
    Last edited by ak_db2; 05-16-08 at 17:42.

Try setting MAXAGENTS instead. Usually there is one agent per connection, unless a parallel query is executing.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

all ,
    I am not trying to fix the problem , i am just exploring the MAX_CONNECTION in dbm cfg , could anyone explain how this parameter works

Here is what the manual says:

"When the Concentrator is off, this parameter indicates the maximum number of client connections allowed per partition. The Concentrator is off when max_connections is equal to max_coordagents. The Concentrator is on when max_connections is greater than max_coordagents.

This parameter controls the maximum number of applications that can be connected to the instance. Typically, each application is assigned a coordinator agent. An agent facilitates the operations between the application and the database. When the default value for this parameter is used, the concentrator feature is not activated. As a result, each agent operates with its own private memory and shares database manager and database global resources such as the buffer pool with other agents. When the parameter is set to a value greater than the default, the concentrator feature is activated. The intent of the concentrator is to reduce the server resources per client application to a point where a DB2 Connect gateway can handle greater than 10 000 client connections.

A value or -1 indicates that the limit is max_coordagents."

Therefore, as I indicated in the above post, if you want to limit the number of connections, then set max_connections to the default and set maxagents to the number of agents you want to be limited to (there is usually one agent per connection).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390