Thumbs up Wish list for database book

After 10+ years of teaching databases at the graduate, undergraduate, and professional level, I am contemplating the idea of writing my own textbook.

I am quite disappointed by the existing textbooks: they are massive, sprawling, and go beyond their topic. I am interested in producing a 180-220 pages textbook that will focus on the essential aspects of database design and deployment.

I am a strong supporter of conceptual design. I believe that a good ERD is the best foundation for any database application and I want to start from there.

I would be interested in and grateful for receiving suggestions as to what you would like to see in a decent textbook for databases. What are the important things that college students should learn about?

For example, many textbooks talk about multi-valued dependencies (MVDs) and how to correct them. But they do not discuss their evolutionary context, i.e., how does a schema develop MVDs in the first place! Can an ERD-generated schema exhibit MVDs? (I say, no). Thus in order to avoid MVDs in the first place, it's important to learn how to conceptually design a database.

I would like to keep the textbook vendor-agnostic. I am not planning on discussing any particular implementation of SQL -- product manuals do a far better job at that anyway. The principles, however remain the same, and that's what I want to focus on.

Therefore I am contemplating a book that will balance between design and deployment principles, but with a pragmatic approach: e.g., when it comes to query optimization, how much trust to put in an SQL engine's built-in optimizer and how much legwork you need to do? Should we bother talking about 1NF, 2NF, 3NF, even BCNF if a database is robustly normalized at the ERD level? Or, in other words, how does normalization reflect on conceptual modeling?

I will welcome any suggestions, criticism, pointers to decent material, and anecdotal evidence and stories that you may wish to share. Anything that I decide to use in any published textbook will be acknowledged properly.

Thanks,
    leo.cs.uchicago.edu

I have found all the books that I have found most useful are ones that show practical example. Multiple different questions and answers. Its the best way to learn.

Base upon our direct and extensive experience with students on this forum, your textbook should:
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob student
    Send me teh codez plz!
    ...should answer important technical questions such as:
    I has a database project. It must have normalizatrion. How to start?
    ...and should be short and concise, so as to:
    Plz anser rite away. Very urgent!
    ...and should be written by
    Expurts only, plez!
    I assume you are already an expurt?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by lgreco
    For example, many textbooks talk about multi-valued dependencies (MVDs) and how to correct them. But they do not discuss their evolutionary context, i.e., how does a schema develop MVDs in the first place!
    i've love to see an explanation of MVDs in english, not professor-speak
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreco
    Should we bother talking about 1NF, 2NF, 3NF, even BCNF if a database is robustly normalized at the ERD level? Or, in other words, how does normalization reflect on conceptual modeling?
    do this one in english too please

i do realize the above requests sound almost as silly as blindman's (you need to have seen the recent spate of student postings here in order to appreciate his post)

but i am sincere -- i can show you a dozen examples of sites on the web which purport to explain normalization but fail to warn you that you need to know the secret language first
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Normalization begins with conceptual modeling.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com