Unanswered: AC2003 Configuration Problem - I think?

We have an AC2003 db that is accessed by multiple users.

One of the users has a wierd issue: When he tries to open the db, he doesn't see the main Database Window (the one that shows the selector for "Tables", "Queries", "Forms", etc.).

Other users can see the main Database Window fine when they open it up. I have the "Tools >> Startup ... >> Display Database Window" option Enabled. Even weirder - if I set the "Tools >> Startup ... >> Display Form/Page" option to "(none)", nothing will appear in his window when I open the database on his PC, and most of his menu options are disabled.

I am sure that it has to be a configuration option on his PC, since nobody else seems to see this.

Any ideas?

AzJazz
    Last edited by azjazz; 05-27-08 at 18:33.
    AzJazz

"I'm afraid the holodeck will be society's last invention." - Scott Adams

Provided Answers: 6
    Does he have the full version of Access, or the runtime version?
    Paul

Full MS2003 Professional Office Suite (including ACC2003) installed.
    AzJazz

And he's opening the same copy of the db? Not a good idea if so, by the way. Whether or not the db window opens is a setting in the database, so if everyone is opening the same copy it should work the same. I asked about the runtime because it will behave differently.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy
    And he's opening the same copy of the db?
    Yep.

Not a good idea if so, by the way.
    I know, but they won't let me fix it (yet).

Whether or not the db window opens is a setting in the database, so if everyone is opening the same copy it should work the same. I asked about the runtime because it will behave differently.
    He has opened up the same database fine in the past, and was able to see the tables previously. This is a new thing, that just seems to be happening on his PC.

I'm stymied.
    AzJazz

That is odd. He's not using a shortcut or utility that might have the runtime switch added into it? You can (and I do) force users with the full version into runtime mode that way.
    Paul

No, I don't think so. I tried to open the database directly off the network drive while I was on his PC, and saw this problem.

Another odd thing about this is that disabling the Startup scripts by holding down the Shift Key when opening seemed to have little or no effect on his PC.

If he had the Runtime installed, he would never be able to see tables, would he? He could see the tables previously.
    AzJazz

No, he would not have seen the tables with the runtime (which is why I asked about it). I'm stumped too. I'll poke around and see if I can find anything. Does hitting F11 bring up the database window?
    Paul

Does hitting F11 bring up the database window?
    Don't know. I'll try it. Please let me know if you find something, since the user that is having this problem is my manager ...
    AzJazz

Provided Answers: 19
    Does he maybe have SP3 installed and this is simply another bug it's introduced, under certain conditions? If so, and the Hotfix hasn't been applied, try it. It can be downloaded here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 05-27-08 at 22:02.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks for the suggestions ... I'll check on it tomorrow, when he gets back.
    AzJazz

One test: F11 didn't bring up the Database Window in ACC2003.

He's running SP3. He also has Office 2007 (with ACC2007) installed. I can open the same database on his computrer in ACC2007, and the Database Window shows up fine.
    AzJazz