Unanswered: Remote Data Access

Hi,

I have an MS SQL Server 2000 database running on a local area network. The database contains product info that I would like to use to populate a web catelog being hosted off site.

Can someone point me in the right direct regarding common practices for using this product database, which is updated on a regular basis, to update my Web catelog?

I was thinking periodically the Web server could remotely query my product database for new entries (this does not need to be real time).

What do you think...

Does your Web server host a database engine? If the answer is "Yes", then you can be as elaborate as your imagination allows you to be. If it happens to be another SQL server, then you can start with out-of-the-box solutions, like transactional replication, or a customized flavor of a snapshot repl+delta generation. But you need to be more specific on what the Web server has as a data engine.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Provided Answers: 6
    From this "The database contains product info", I am not sure he needs anything so fancy.

Does this information change a lot? How much data is there? What is the tolerance for latency?

These are the questions I would ask first.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Make sure you don't expose port 1433 to the public. In the best case scenario, you'll have a server spending all of it's resources rejecting mass login attempts to your database.

rdjabarov :
    - The web server is hosting a MySQL database

Thrasymachus :
    - The product info data changes seasonally. Where new products are added.
    - There are currently thousands of products with the addition on approx 100 or 200 products per season.
    - We have a high tolerance for latency. The data could be transferred to the Web Catelog at the end of the day or even a few days.

What do you both think?

Provided Answers: 6
    so you only need static data that can not be changed on the web and the info is only updated seasonally?

I would just do an XML dump out of the database and transfer it to your remote web server as needed and have your application use the XML file as a datasource. I do not see where a RDBMS is worth the expense and hassle from what you are telling me here.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

It would be so much easier if you replaced MySQL with SQLExpress or MSDE...But even with MySQL, you can generate an extract from your prod db, then create a script on your web box, that trucate the tables on MySQL, and loads the data from the extract.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."