Question Unanswered: Has anyone ever used an MS ACCESS DB in conjunction with a MS SQL DB??

I want to start off by saying I am lacking when it comes to an indepth knowledge of databases and programming. I contracted with a major company to program a site that has major social networking components to it and other higher level applications. The site was suppossed to be built to handle thousands and eventually millions of people. We already have thousands of people. I recently found out that they used a MS SQL DB in conjunction with an ACCESS DB. I have had conversations with 3 other developers and they cannot come up with a reason why this company would have done this. This is a major company who has years of experience. I have to believe there was some advantage to doing it this way. So far I have not really seen any issues in the performance of it, but have not been able to get an answer to why they would have done it this way. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It would be much appreciated. Thank you...

Hmmm...Any "major" company starts any "major" project with MS Access database...at least that's what I've seen so far...or from Excel spreadsheet, as an alternative
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

why they do it is probably the same reason why many other companies do it -- SQL Server is far superior to Access in database reliability and robustness, while Access is far superior in its front-end GUI

you're not suggesting that they use the Access database engine on their web site, are you?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 1
    Yes, the are probably using Access as a quick and easy interface to their SQL tables. I've done this many times.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thumbs up Thanks for your responses...

Because I am so limited in my technical knowledge they gave me a pretty beefed up admin area that allows me to maintain many areas of the site. Based on what I am hearing, I believe that is probably part of the purpose for the access db. My understanding is that the "meat" of the site is on the MS SQL database.

Any other thoughts would be welcomed.

Thank you.