Unanswered: Debugging in SQL 2005

Ok, I am aware of the process to debug a stored proc for SQL 2005. I have never done anything in the Visual Studios 2005 so have had no reason to have it but now that I am pretty much forced into using SQL 2005, I have been deprived of the easy system of debugging stored procs from query analyzer. My question is...with the Visual Studios 2005 that was included with the SQL 2005 install, why does it not allow me to debug? I am aware of the whole Pro, Standard, etc of VS, but why not offer any way to debug? Am I missing something here? What options do I have to debug a stored proc other than running it over and over and over and over again to pinpoint an issue without getting VS2005 Pro or something?

San Antonio, TX
    Hmmm...I'm sorry, hang on, I'll include the "I want to debug my proc, damnit!" in a sec...

Seriously, MS didn't include many things that developers would like to have into its Management Studio and accompanying VS2K5, because VS2K8 has all that and more. The reason is simple, - Management Studio is (and should be) used by DBA's/Architects, while VS is used by developers. If a DBA needs to debug a procedure, they should not approach it like developers do, - real debug. If you catch one trying to do it, - he is probably a developer disguised as a DBA
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Provided Answers: 1
    Because real DBAs write error-free SQL. So there is no need for debugging.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman "sqlblindman"

Provided Answers: 10
    Seriously, I didn't even know you could debug sprocs!
    I also think I'm happy not knowing
    Home | Blog

Nottinghamshire, UK
    O crap, I've been doing it wrong all these years.

tsk, tsk silly me - yea Right !!
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer