Unanswered: sql server 2000 will not start after master restore

moving to a new sql server box because of a problem with the SAN its connected to.

started my named instance in single user mode and restored master. sqlserve.exe -c -m -s ovops

now the instance won't start. tried starting it with the -t3608 switch.. won't start!!

Its because my drive configuration is different on the new server than it was on the old server, I cannot start the instance because it is expecting model, msdb, temdb and all of the user databases on drives that don't exist?? what can I do?????

Provided Answers: 6
    backup. first why are you restoring master from your old server to your new? Is there anything on the new server yet? if not, just do an uninstall and reinstall and start over. this time, plan out your move and know what it is you are doing.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

i thought I HAD to restore master.. Can I recover everything by just restoreing model and msdb??????

Provided Answers: 6
    see my first post.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 54
    You might need to restore master, but what exactly do you expect to get by doing that? It is very much a two-edged sword, with both costs and benefits.

-PatP

we end up repartiioning and reinstalling.. no big deal. server is all recovered (thanks) - hard to plan it out when it's an unexpected failure..

NOW we are getting this:: Cannot generate SSPI context" when trying to connect to sql server via ODBC for our access applications.. can anyone help?????

THE ONly thing I can see that has changed is we went from win2k server to 2003 server. sql serverwise everything appears the same!!!!!! not fun on a sunday!!! can anyone help?

Provided Answers: 10
    SSPI is trusted security, right? Sounds like the applications are unable to access the database - are you missing logins?
    George
    Home | Blog