Unanswered: Copy queried data from production data base to a different data base

I am running DB2 and am working on some testing where I have to copy some production data (a completely different machine) to a developement/qa machine. The table structure is identical. Currently I have to run the queries and "export" using DBVisualizer into the receiving database. Is there a way to run the query and on the host database and insert into the receiving database?

Here are the steps I have to follow.

First I have to clear out the receiving database of all "old" data:

DELETE FROM EIFA.CURRENCY_INFO;
    DELETE FROM EIFA.CURRENCY_HIST;
    DELETE FROM CLHDB.CLH_INFO

Then I have to select all of the data from the host database:

SELECT * FROM EIFA.CURRENCY_INFO;
    SELECT * FROM EIFA.CURRENCY_HIST WHERE DATE_UPDATED > '20080101';
    SELECT * FROM CLHDB.CLH_INFO WHERE GROUP <> ''

The result (using DBVisualizer) is three tabs worth of data that I have to export into sql and then paste into the sql editor and run.

The host url is as follows: chq.chq.ei:50000/corp
    The recipient url is as follows: qa4.chq.ei:50000/corp

Is there a way to tie all of this together to have it run in one seamless execution?

On Production machine:

db2 "export to EIFA.CURRENCY_INFO.IXF OF IXF SELECT * FROM EIFA.CURRENCY_INFO"
    db2 "export to EIFA.CURRENCY_HIST.IXF OF IXF SELECT * FROM EIFA.CURRENCY_HIST WHERE DATE_UPDATED > '20080101'"
    db2 "export to CLHDB.CLH_INFO .IXF OF IXF SELECT * FROM CLHDB.CLH_INFO WHERE GROUP <> ''"

scp EIFA.CURRENCY_INFO.IXF userid@hostname:/directory_path
    scp EIFA.CURRENCY_HIST.IXF userid@hostname:/directory_path
    scp CLHDB.CLH_INFO.IXF userid@hostname:/directory_path

On Development machine:
    # do these in correct order to satisfy referential integrity

db2 "import from EIFA.CURRENCY_INFO.IXF OF IXF COMMITCOUNT 1000 REPLACE INTO EIFA.CURRENCY_INFO"
    db2 "import from EIFA.CURRENCY_HIST.IXF OF IXF COMMITCOUNT 1000 REPLACE INTO EIFA.CURRENCY_HIST"
    db2 "import from CLHDB.CLH_INFO.IXF OF IXF COMMITCOUNT 1000 REPLACE INTO CLHDB.CLH_INFO"
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Can you explain what each of the three blocks of commands is doing?

The first block exports the data to a file.
    The second block sends the files to another server (I used scp, but you might be able to use ftp, etc).
    The third block imports the data to a table, replacing all the existing data.

If you still cannot understand it, you need to find a local DBA to help you on this.
    M. A. Feldman

I understand now. I guess my original question what is there a way to do all of this using sql and not in a shell?

In theory you could do it with SQL if you set up federated support which allows one SQL statement to access two different databases. But the way that I showed you is less trouble, safer from a security standpoint, performs much better, and is relatively straightforward.

If you cannot understand the DB2 and shell commands used in the script I gave you, chances are you will not be able to understand DB2 federated support. Note that you will need a DBA to configure DB2 ferderated support.
    M. A. Feldman