Unanswered: Learning SQL server 2005

Hi All,

I am new to SQL SERVER 2005. I know MYSQL 5 but not SQL Server2005.

I wanted to learn SQL SERVER 2005 and dont have any idea where to Start. I have gone to the " http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/register/" and down loaded the " Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition i.e ((36.5 MB).".

Now that i have installed it in my PC i simply don't know where to start. When i go to START==> ALL PROGRAM==> MYSQL SERVER 2005==> Configuration Tools , it gives me three option.

1.) SQL SERVER CONFIGURATION MANAGER
    2.) SQL SERVER ERROR AND USAGE REPORTING
    3.) SQL SERVER SURFACE AREA CINFIGURATION

Now that i have these above three option, i dont know which one to click and how to start using SQL Server. i dont know what to do ahead. Do i need to configure this SQL SEVERVER ? I am using Windows Vista as my operation system, is this compatiable to SQL server?
    Please help me

many thanks,
    Ran

1.) Sets up options for the services (e.g. when to start, accounts to use etc)
    2.) Don't worry about for now
    3.) This enables\ disables certain features, many of which are disabled by default for security reasons.

You will need Management Studio - did you download the client tools? Also, get Books Online (the help files). These are amongst the best help files of any MS product - you could do far worse than read the relevent chapters to get a feel for SS.

Provided Answers: 1
    SQL Server 2005 Express is compatible with Vista. I am running it on my home laptop.
    Download the SQL Server Management Studio and go from there.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Hi Pootle flump and blindman,

Many thanks for your help guys. Now i have down loaded "SQL Server Management Studio " and i am up and running.

Great help
    Thanks
    regards,
    Ran