Thread: 200GB database

Unanswered: 200GB database

Ive recently taken on a SQL Server related assignment with a client running a very large database in a very poor environment.

We have a 200GB database with virtually no failover support. Im interested in transactional replication, hardware redundancy, failover support and find that before moving forward on that we probably need to seriously re-evaluate our whole logical and physical design. My experience is more on the TSQL side rather than full dba hardware, optimization, tuning areas. Any suggestions for quickly ramping up my skills on the dba side (books, courses, etc.) and also recommendations for short term support resources would be appreciated. Im want to make sure I cover all my bases with regard to future scalability, disaster recovery, high availability etc.

http://sqlcat.com

this is a good resource for large databases in sql server.

Provided Answers: 11
    I have a 250GB database running on a server that has no failover or replciation running on it. It is for the desktop group, and they did not want to spend the money on all that fancy stuff. If they lose the data, they are OK with that as a risk. Is the client asking you to "bulletproof" this system? Or give them more uptime?

"If they lose the data, they are OK with that as a risk" - I assume you have some kind of DR setup. To simply lose 250GB and are "OK with it" doesn't sound like a very good business rule.

I have it backed up every night. There is just no requirement for high availability. You are, of course, welcome to make substantial donations to help change that, though ;-).

We'll have to start a new thread for that, maybe like a television plea..."Do you or someone you know suffer from lack of redundancy? MCrowley is the poster child for this sometimes fatal affliction and with your help, we can find the cure. Do you know what it's like to not sleep at night? Wondering if/when your hard disk was going to crash and how painful that would be (yikes)? When you wouldn't be able to boot it backup up (ouch)? When you would finally hit that big blue-screen in the sky? We're accepting donations now! Please call and be as generous as you can (large bills PREFERRED but smaller ones will NOT be rejected). Together we can help MCrowley and finally relieve him (her?) of this pain once and for all. Let's do it for all the MCrowleys in the world, one MCrowley at a time. Thank you for your support." - Sorry, it's almost the weekend and I'm out of here in like 20 minutes so I'm a little stoked. And what a way to begin posting on a new forum. I guess the only way for me to go from here is up!

Meh. You will find that most of us have pretty thick skin around here. Besides, I got a chuckle out of it. Not bad for a Monday morning.

Provided Answers: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by tosscrosby
    When you would finally hit that big blue-screen in the sky?
    2nd nomination for quote of the month
    George
    Home | Blog

I'll start the giving with a dollar. It's not much, but I'm saving for my SQL Server 2008 licensing fees.