Unanswered: DB2 query in a sub-program

Hi,

I need to know the performance for the below two cases.

1. I will embed all my DB2 queries in a COBOL program.

2. I will write a cobol sub-program which will have a DB2 query. Whenever I need to query I will call this cobol sub-program from the main COBOL program.

The second option will provide me more modularity. But which is more efficient? What will be the effects on performance. Performance is a key factor in deciding the choice.

Pls provide your suggestions.

Thanks,
    Dilip

Quote Originally Posted by iamdilip
    I need to know the performance for the below two cases.
    1. I will embed all my DB2 queries in a COBOL program.
    2. I will write a cobol sub-program which will have a DB2 query. Whenever I need to query I will call this cobol sub-program from the main COBOL program.
    There is of course a certain overhead for a (COBOL) program to call a subprogram. Apart from that, seen from DB2, there is no performance difference.

If you really want maximal performance and still modularity, write the subprogram as a paragraph or section in your main program and replace CALL by PERFORM. That's exactly the strength of COBOL as compared to other programming languages: it avoids call stack build-up and still has a modular program structure. Down side are the global variables... (You can't have it all ;-)
    --_Peter Vanroose,
    __IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9 for z/OS
    __IBM Certified Application Developer
    __ABIS Training and Consulting
    __http://www.abis.be/

Very good suggestion there. Glad to know lots of people are still trying to dig up some Cobol routines here and there these days.