Training record database

I am making an Access database where I can track the training of my employees. What I want is a table that I can keep adding new employees to for future growth. A table with all the training events that we have that includes the total time of the training. I have been able to crate those tables, but I don't know how to add total hours of training to every employee that has attended the event. Any ideas how to make this happen?

If you are looking to track the employee training hours, there has to be a reason for it. Can you show us what you've created for tables and relationships so far, and explain what is the purpose for tracking the education hours so that we can help you get the design correct.

The reason that it is important to know why you want to keep track of the hours is because there are different ways to do things, each with strengths and weaknesses. We need to know what your goal is so that we can help you reach it.

-PatP

Here is a bit more information about the database. I require that my employees attend 20 hours of training a year. I would like to track to see how many hours each employee has through out the year. So I would like to create a training event and then select who attend the event and enter the start and end time of the event. So I need to have a table that has the total amount of hours that an employee has so that I can create reports on total hours of training. Hope this helps.

I'm obviously not asking the correct question... What I need to know to help you with the design is what is driving the need to keep track of the training hours. Is this a compliance issue (like in health care or insurance), a union requirement (for plumbing, electrical, etc), mandated contemporaneous training (for insurance or investments), or something different?

The problem comes from needing different kinds of information for each reporting purpose. The primary information (how much training the employee has received) is even measured differently for the different kinds of reporting, so you need to know the "why" of the reporting to ensure that you can correctly determine the "how" of the recording in order to produce the correct final results.

-PatP

Sure, I am part of a volunteer fire department and we need to keep track of our training hours of the fire fighters. Each fire fighter needs to meet 24 hours of training a year to be fully complaint with government standards.

Any of you database gurus have an idea to accomplish this?

Training Record Database

We use a Training Records Database named Training Manager from Kaizen Software Solutions. It's relatively inexpensive compared to the time of developing one from scratch and is a lot easier to use than a lot of them out there. Your mileage may vary, but you can download a free trial from their website if you want to try it out.