Breaking down a large db into smaller

I am curious if it would be recommended to break down a larger database into smaller dbs. I have an application that uses a db of about 50 tables and have since gone back and modularized my application code.

Could I break out the tables that match my chunks of application code and modularize the db as well?

Just to clarify, I have about 7 tables dealing with customers and about 8 tables dealing with inventory. I wanted to create a customer db and an inventory db and then create a FK in the dependant table. Would this be ok?

Thanks.. Frank

Please hurry with an anser cuz I need it for skool.

Breaking a database into smaller pieces is NEVER a good idea from the data modeling/management perspective. There might be practical reasons that force you to split a database (such as a database engine that only supports X bytes in one database container) or even physical reasons (no disk large enough, and no disk spanning in your database engine), but these are accomodations to failures, not good ideas.

Very few database engines will permit creation of an FK that references data outside of the database. This is almost always a bad idea for many reasons.

Short answer: Don't do it!

-PatP

Ok Pat, I will keep all of it together. I have to say that wasn’t the answer I was expecting. Thanks!

Frank