Unanswered: Stored procedure performance when attaching parameters?

About 75% of my stored procedures can possibly produce an "output message" which is sent back to the client via an OUTPUT parameter
    Code:
    CREATE PROCEDURE myProc
    (@outputMsg VARCHAR(100))
    AS
    My client-code is written such that I never call the SqlCommand.ExecuteReader() directly; everything is encapsulated with an "ExecuteCommand" routine. Within the "ExecuteCommand" routine, I automatically attach an output parameter called "outputMsg" since 75% of my procs use it.

The problem: Only 75% use it, the other 25% don't need it. If don't include that outputMsg parameter in those procedures, then my "ExecuteCommand" routine generates an error saying something like "No parameters were expected by 1 was found" -- which is correct, because the procedure does not take any paramters, but my "ExecuteCommand" method is set up to automatically include that "outputMsg" parameter since 75% of the procedures use it.

As a workaround, I just included that "outputMsg" to EVERY stored procedure even though 25% of them don't need it.

My question: Would this produce a noticible performance difference? By "this" I mean the fact that I'm attaching output parameters to procedures for procedures that don't even use them.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dbguyfh
    Would this produce a noticible performance difference?
    I doubt it.

If you didn't notice a difference then I would say "no". Otherwise, I'm gonna go with "yes"

Provided Answers: 1
    Pootle, you are obviously mistaken here.
    If you DID notice a difference, then I would say "Yes". Otherwise, I'd go with "No".
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Well I have no real way of measuring this...

The only overhead I could see is binding the parameters to the procedure. I don't even make use of the parameters after that, so I can't see anything else affecting it.

Is there a way to measure this? Or should I just assume that the difference is negligible?

It's negligible. It would be like driving your car barefoot because the weight of your shoes affects your car's performance. While it would make a difference, who could measure it?

Sounds good. Thanks