Unanswered: How to query remote Access table in SQL Server Stored Procedure

Hello esteemed experts.

I have no training in writing SQL but I've picked up a bit from Google and trial and error.

I'm trying to write a stored procedure to query data stored on our SQL Server database. However, I really need to reference some information that is only stored in a table in a separate Access database.

I have read around this for a day or so, and it looks like I need to link the Access database into our server using the sp_addlinkedserver system procedure. So I have written the following to try to make this work:

Code:
    CREATE PROCEDURE usp_vd_temp_test_ALS

AS

exec sp_addlinkedserver 
    	@server='ProjCostRep',
    	@provider='Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',
    	@srvproduct='OLE DB Provider for Jet',
    	@datasrc='\\shul003\reprts\Project Cost Report.mdb'

GO

exec sp_addlinkedsrvlogin 
    	@rmtsrvname='ProjCostRep', 
    	@useself='false', 
    	@rmtpassword=''

GO

exec sp_tables_ex ProjCostRep

GO

select * from ProjCostRep...[Completed jobs on report]
    The problem is this generates a string of three "Incorrect syntax near 'GO'. (#170) errors.

So my questions are:
    1. Is this really the best way to link to a table in Access?
    2. What's wrong with my syntax?

PS
    I'm afraid I don't know what version of SQL Server we are running, though it was installed new in late 2003/early 2004. Can I write a query that will tell me?

As an experiment I tried commenting out the GOs. Now I get:

"[SQL Server]Could not find server 'ProjCostRep' in sysservers. Execute sp_addlinkedserver to add the server to sysservers (#7202)."

I also tried splitting the sp_addlinkedserver part off, executing it first then going with the query, but I get the same result, so there seems to be a problem with my sp_addlinkedserver syntax. Maybe I'm missing something?

Re: How to query remote Access table in SQL Server Stored Procedure

Stored Procedure do not accept go statement in its body. Hope this will work
    Jalil

The script below is for SQL2K5/SQL2K8, but very little will need to be changed to make it work in SQL2K. The script is written as a template, so after pasting it into QA press Ctrl+Shift+M and replace the values with actual references:
    Code:
    /*
       ******************************************************************************
       This procedure creates a linked server to MS Access 2000 database (xxx.mdb)
       To create a new linked server, execute the following statement:

exec __admin.sp__AddLinkedServerForAccess2000 N'c:\temp\test.mdb'

To see the contents of the linked server database, you may either expand SSMS,
       Server Objects, Linked Servers, or execute the following statement:

exec sp_tables_ex 'Guidata031908'
       ******************************************************************************
    */
       if exists (select * from sys.sysservers where srvname = N'<linkedserver,sysname,test>')
          exec master.dbo.sp_dropserver @server = N'<linkedserver,sysname,test>', @droplogins = 'droplogins'
       exec sp_addlinkedserver N'<linkedserver,sysname,test>', 'Access', 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0', N'<linkedserverpath,sysname,c:\temp\test.mdb>'
       exec sp_addlinkedsrvlogin N'<linkedserver,sysname,test>', false, 'sa', 'Admin', NULL
    go
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."