Thumbs up Hello from a beginner in need of advice for a good cause :-)

Hi everyone,

I'm a totally amateur, self-taught website designer/administrator & phpbb forum administrator. In recent months I've designed a website & created a forum (on a purely voluntary basis) for a wildlife charity. The charity is now interested in setting up an online database to collect certain information from the public, relevant to its specific focus, via the website - but doesn't want to spend any of its limited financial resources on this unless absolutely necessary. I've used Microsoft Access before & am a strong Excel modeller, plus I obviously have a basic understanding of the practicalities of website hosting (i.e. FTP) & have installed a couple of forums.

In light of the above, does anyone think there's a snowball's chance that I might be able to achieve what the charity wants in database terms? If so, where should I start?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Lynne

Same situation

Hello Lynnecart,

I am in the same situation, however i am not as experienced as you. I am also looking to move our excel work to an online database but have no idea how to move forward (so many dBase choices out there) and as such have just registered with the forum to gain access (no pun intended) to valuable information regarding databases. If you have any information in the future regarding your personal implementation of your database, please bring me into the loop, as i would love to learn all facets.

Cheers, Stewart

Smile Love to help...

Hi Lynne / Stewart,

I'm also new to dbforums and would like to help you out guys... my current setup at home is mysql / asp or ms-access (depending on the requirement)... i've used ms-sql / mysql / oracle for db and ms-access / vb6 / asp (classic & 2.0)...

just let me know...

Cheers,
    Reggie

Ignorance is bliss.....

I would like to read up more on this situation of developing a web database application. What wiley/dummies type books would you recommend (cost of books/availability of books not an issue) for a beginner like me wanting to understand the basics first, i.e. from the ground up.
    Thanks for your response, Stu.