Unanswered: How long does it take to migrate db from 8.2 to 9.1 on LUW

When upgrading DB2 LUW from 8.2 to 9.1 the following command is issued as part of the upgrade:

db2 migrate database <db-name>

Does the migrate command make changes to every data and index page? Any estimate on how long it takes to run based on number of pages in the database?
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Provided Answers: 11
    it does not change the data, only the catalogs
    It only takes minutes..
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

I found there is a correlation between the time it takes and database size (purely an observation). For my 250+GB DBs it took about 15-20 mins and for the smaller < 100GB ones 5-10 mins

Quote Originally Posted by meehange
    I found there is a correlation between the time it takes and database size (purely an observation). For my 250+GB DBs it took about 15-20 mins and for the smaller < 100GB ones 5-10 mins
    So maybe it does have to update each page?
    M. A. Feldman

Well the only refereence I can see is that it depends on the size of the Catalog, so it seems that's all that's changed... later you're supposed to convert the tablespaces to LARGE and convert the table to RIDS, but that's another matter I guess

Quote Originally Posted by meehange
    .. later you're supposed to convert the tablespaces to LARGE and convert the table to RIDS, but that's another matter I guess
    Can you expound on that? Is this optional?
    M. A. Feldman

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    Can you expound on that? Is this optional?
    I believe both are optional, but recommended. I'd imagine like Type2 indexes they'll become mandatory in a future version. On the upside your max table size is SIGNIFICANTLY increased (from 64GB to 2048GB for a 4K table, 512GB to 16384GB for 32K)..... basically to use RIDs you need Large tabelspaces. All new tables in Large tablespaces use RIDs and when you reorg the existing tables in one they convert to RIDs.
    RID table indexes require a bit more space, I think it's 2 bytes per RID.