Unanswered: Finance guy looking for an easy-to-use DB2 Express-C 9.5 tutorial

Hi everyone,

i am looking for an easy introduction to DB2 Express-C 9.5. The tutorial should be addressed to finance people. I am starting into a finance job (audit - financial services) soon and basic knowledge of sql queries for database systems that the clients (banks) use is required. My guess is that a good amount of banks (in germany) use oracle and db2, so i downloaded DB2 Express-C 9.5.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by basel2
    My guess is that a good amount of banks (in germany) use oracle and db2, so i downloaded DB2 Express-C 9.5.
    I suppose most of the DB2 databases will be on z/OS (mainframe). Be aware that there are (quite) some implementation differences between DB2 Express-C (and DB2 for Linux/Unix/Windows in general) and DB2 for z/OS.
    --_Peter Vanroose,
    __IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9 for z/OS
    __IBM Certified Application Developer
    __ABIS Training and Consulting
    __http://www.abis.be/

Provided Answers: 4
    ... and basic knowledge of sql queries for database systems that the clients (banks) use is required. ...
    If that's your goal, I think any good book about SQL in general will do. It doesn't have to be DB2-specific. And DB2 Express-C 9.5 is a good database to train your skills on.

One book I personally like, but perhaps not really suited for a SQL novice, is Graeme Birchall's
    DB2 SQL Cookbook
    . Good explanations combined with working examples, ...
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages