Unanswered: Code help to filter subform

I have a form where a user defines a checklist. There is a ChecklistName combo box where the names of all previously defined checklists, and where you would type the name of the new one (LimitToList = No). I am trying to get the subform to Update with the selection of each checklist in that combo box. Right now, I can cycle through records with the record navigator...it works perfectly, each name matches the checklist. However, when I go to select a checklist from the drop down menu...it just changes the name of the showing checklist to whatever I picked (very annoying), and changes the data in the tables to reflect such changes. I've tinkering with this trying to figure it out on my own...but, I'm missing something.

I wrote a line of code (modeled after another's) to do this...as another form I have KIND OF does what I'm trying to do here on this form. Here is the code I am using in the AfterUpdate event

Dim connDB As ADODB.Connection
    Dim qry As New Command
    Dim sql As String

Set connDB = CurrentProject.Connection
    qry.ActiveConnection = connDB

sql = "SELECT CategoryID, BehaviorID FROM tblChecklistDetails WHERE ChecklistNameID = " & Me.ChecklistNameID & ""

qry.CommandText = sql
    qry.Execute

Me.sfrmChecklist.Requery

connDB.Close
    Set qry = Nothing
    Set connDB = Nothing

A checklist consists of a name, categories, and behaviors. The tables are as follows:

tblChecklistName
    ChecklistNameID
    ChecklistName

tblBehavior
    BehaviorID
    Behavior

tblCategory
    CategoryID
    Category

tblChecklist
    ChecklistID
    CategoryID
    BehaviorID
    ChecklistNameID

Let me know if this is not clear and you need more info!

Thanks for all your help!!

There's something I don't understand in the first place, and it's linked to what you are experiencing : what is the purpose of tblCheckListNames ? Can two checklists have the same name ? If that's the case, then there's a problem with your combo box as you could have 10 checklists named the same so how would you select the right one from the box ?

Furthermore, I suspect that you are confusing accessing an existing record and updating an existing record : what currently happens is that when you select a new name from the combo box, you update the record that is currently shown, because your combo box is linked to the checklistnameID field. (btw your AfterUpdate code doesn't actually do anything : it's a SELECT query which you make no use of.)
    If what you want to do is selecting another record, you have to have an unbound combo box that lists the existing records, and then use some coding to goto the record corresponding to the chosen name.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by rapht
    There's something I don't understand in the first place, and it's linked to what you are experiencing : what is the purpose of tblCheckListNames ?
    Well, I thought I was saving room I guess. Each checklist can have multiple behaviors and categories, and I just wanted an ID field to identify which categories/behaviors went to which checklist name (since there can be many), instead of having a bunch of records that say the same thing... Technically, yes two checklists can have the same name...but it's user-defined and if they pull that, they will have to deal with it (or delete one). Besides, it would be best in a combo box, versus the text box I have now, the user can't select an existing list if not.

Quote Originally Posted by rapht
    If what you want to do is selecting another record, you have to have an unbound combo box that lists the existing records, and then use some coding to goto the record corresponding to the chosen name.
    This is what I want to do...as long as that combo box works being unbound. Since it is unbound, how would new records be stored? For instance, I have that combo box's property LimitToList = No because when a new checklist is being created, they will type the new name into the blank line. An unbound combo box wouldn't support that. Isn't there a bit of code I can write into my current setup that will access whichever record is selected in the combo box??? Or must it be unbound? (reason I ask is there is another spot in my database where something similar to this takes place, someone helped me with it, and it's also unbound...) Why?

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by parkerk
    Well, I thought I was saving room I guess. Each checklist can have multiple behaviors and categories, and I just wanted an ID field to identify which categories/behaviors went to which checklist name (since there can be many), instead of having a bunch of records that say the same thing... Technically, yes two checklists can have the same name...but it's user-defined and if they pull that, they will have to deal with it (or delete one). Besides, it would be best in a combo box, versus the text box I have now, the user can't select an existing list if not.
    Actually, it's very good to have behavior and category in separate tables as you get to re-use throughout your checklists, but I wouldn't think of re-using the name. Since mostly one name will be used for one checklist I'd have included it directly in the checklist table. Anyway that's no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerk
    Since it is unbound, how would new records be stored? For instance, I have that combo box's property LimitToList = No because when a new checklist is being created, they will type the new name into the blank line. An unbound combo box wouldn't support that. Isn't there a bit of code I can write into my current setup that will access whichever record is selected in the combo box??? Or must it be unbound? (reason I ask is there is another spot in my database where something similar to this takes place, someone helped me with it, and it's also unbound...) Why?
    I understand. What I thought of was add an unbound combo box that gets you to any existing record (with LimitToList=True) and transform your current combo box into a text box that would be used to create a new record.

There might be a way to do it with your current setup though.
    When you select an entry in a bound combo box, it tries to update the record with the new value of your combo box. There's an event called BeforeUpdate that is thrown when updating the combo box, and it is cancellable so I guess it would cancel the whole process. Using BeforeUpdate you could write some code that checks if the selected entry belongs to the list, throw in Cancel, and then redirect the user to the proper record.
    I'm not sure how you can programatically throw Cancel in though, but you should be able to find that out.

HtH

rapht-

Thanks for the help. I got it to do what I wanted by using the combo box wizard to 'find' existing records. Then I laid a text box right on top of that combo box, with the arrow still showing. So in form view, it looks like just a combo box...but it's really the both. It does what I was going for: selecting a name from the combo box produces the categories and behaviors for that name in the subform and when I go to create a new checklist, I can type it right into the 'combo box' (actually the text box right on top).

Thanks again!

Well so finally that was my first solution , except you're clever because you let Access do it for you. Also I like the trick of putting the textbox over the combo box, I'd never thought of that but it's an interesting idea.