Unanswered: foreign key has null value

I've two tables 1. Product_episode 2. order_episode

there is a key product_episode_id (Nullable) in Order_episode which is a foriegn key to the same key in product_episode.

The key product_episode_id is the primary key in product_episode.

I observed there are few nulls for p_e_id in the table order_episode.
    since there is primary & foreign key relation ship, why the system allowd it?

product_episode_id (Nullable)
    Hi,
    in foreign column there are allowed to be only the values from parent primary key values and nulls! If you would not like to have null values in foreign column then you should define foreign key column as NOT NULL.
    Regards,
    Grofaty

When there are NULLs in the table, how the matching between foreign key and primary key values being satisfied?

How can we understand the records with NULL values with the other table?

Thanks,

a NULL foreign key means that that particular row is not related

example: players belong to a team, but no more than one team at a time, so you can have the team_id as a foreign key in the players table, but when a team releases a player, he is no longer with a team, so you set the foreign key to NULL, but you don't delete the player, and later, when he joins a new team, you can update the foreign key and change the NULL to his new team

simple, eh

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 3
    Ani,
    You have to tell us how the records are related. The relationship between the tables states that the Foreign Key is NULLable and apparently your application sometimes inserts a NULL value for the foreign key. If you do not wish for this to happen, then you should redefine the foreign key to not allow nulls, is it maybe a delete rule on the foreign key definition that set the child table to null?

Short summary of Rudy's example: You can use nullable columns in the dependent table/columns allow you to represent orphan rows.

There is no issue with "relationship" because SQL defines relationships based on values and NULL is not a value; it is a marker.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    a NULL foreign key means that that particular row is not related

example: players belong to a team, but no more than one team at a time, so you can have the team_id as a foreign key in the players table, but when a team releases a player, he is no longer with a team, so you set the foreign key to NULL, but you don't delete the player, and later, when he joins a new team, you can update the foreign key and change the NULL to his new team

simple, eh

Hi,
    I prefer to use not null definition on foreign key column and use "no team" as 0 id. I like to use this method to have more simple select SQLs - there is no need of using left outer joins to get all players and belonging teams.
    Regards,
    Grofaty

Quote Originally Posted by grofaty
    I prefer to use not null definition on foreign key column and use "no team" as 0 id.
    to me, that's horrible

your SQL needs more fudging than mine, because when you write queries that involve teams, you must always remember to filter out the "no team" team
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Hi,
    I prefer to use not null definition on foreign key column and use "no team" as 0 id. I like to use this method to have more simple select SQLs - there is no need of using left outer joins to get all players and belonging teams.
    Regards,
    Grofaty
    That's just bad design.
    Knut Stolze

r937, stolze,
    it may be bad design, but a lot of problems are solved. I have seen a lot of analytical SQL tools that have problems if null is set on foreign keys. For example if table has some analytical data for example sales per month (dependent table) and having no customer (parent table), sums are not correct, because there are eliminated some data that doesn't have customer.

There is also one more benefit - not null fields are using one additional byte per row. Having millions of rows that can be a huge save...

Regards,
    Grofaty

"it may be bad design, but a lot of problems are solved" -- grofaty

this goes into my collection called Famous Last Words
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

There is also one more benefit - not null fields are using one additional byte per row. Having millions of rows that can be a huge save...
    With compression being available in pretty much every database system these days, I'd count this argument as moot.

So it comes down to the question whether you want to have a sound design and are open for future development or try to work around problems in some tools. For example, tooling issues could be addressed with views that map NULLs to 0 (zero) and still allow you a proper design.
    Last edited by stolze; 06-23-08 at 12:19.
    Knut Stolze

The most important argument I have just forgot to mention. In our company we use DB2/Linux/zSeries and DB2/VSE/zSeries. The last one only supports simple SQLs no left outer join etc, so using null on foreign key makes things much much more difficult. Data from tables are constantly moving from one system to another - so a null on foreign key makes a lot more time to write SQLs.

The last one only supports simple SQLs no left outer join etc, ...
    my condolences

please don't let this horrible experience influence your idea of good design

rudy.ca | @rudydotca