Unanswered: Performance gain of adding UNIQUE constraint

I have a table called machines where I have an ID field, a name field, and some other fields relating to the specific machine (who owns it, what it's used for etc.)

I know the machine names will always be unique, however I've used a surrogate primary key anyway, since it's possible a machine's name could change (it'll still be unique, but it could change to something else)

My question:

How much of a performance/speed gain will I actually get by applying a UNIQUE constraint to the name? (a string column)

Provided Answers: 2
    You do not gain anything in performance with a UNIQUE constraint. However, because UNIQUE constraints are enforced by indexes, you can gain some performance with this index, if it is used in WHERE clauses of your queries (like any other index).

But without that, a UNIQUE constraint cause some loss in speed (index inserts, updates, deletes / constraint checking).

Quote Originally Posted by aflorin27
    You do not gain anything in performance with a UNIQUE constraint. However, because UNIQUE constraints are enforced by indexes, you can gain some performance with this index, if it is used in WHERE clauses of your queries (like any other index).

But without that, a UNIQUE constraint cause some loss in speed (index inserts, updates, deletes / constraint checking).
    So essentially, a UNIQUE constraint enforced with an index will cause (significant? minor?) gains in SELECT queries, but could down inserts/deletes/updates.

Is that correct?

Provided Answers: 2
    See this article:
    http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/1466951

especially the How to Select Indexes for Optimal Database Performance section.

Thanks! That looks like a great read for me

Cheers