Unanswered: Help with Small Business Database

I sure hope I've come to the right place... My family owns a small printing and sign shop and we've decided that we would like to start a database in which we can store customer information (name, addy, email, etc.) and order information (what was ordered, quantity, price, etc.).

I know nothing about databases and my mother has given me the responsibility to complete this task. I have been looking at templates and such for a few days and they all seem to have product tables and invoicing tables. We would have no use for that as everything we do is custom for each customer and my mother has used Quickbooks for 14 years now and has no interest in changing programs. I can't seem to figure out how to set something up without these tables.

We don't necessarily have to use MS Access, we're more than willing to buy something else if it works better. And I guess what I'm asking is if someone could point me in the right direction to try and set this up.

Thanks so much for the help. If any more information is need please ask.

Raleigh, NC

Good luck on your task. If you have MS Access then it would have come with a sample database called Northwinds.mdb. It should be able to provide you with a real nice starting point on what is available using Access and it should be able to show you where and how to start with either Access or something else.

--If its free, take it for what its worth!

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    You don't say what version of Access you're using, but here's a link that will take you to some templates from Microsoft itself for Access 2000, which means they should run in any version from 2000 onward. The one titled Customer Order Database should do exactly what you want.

To be honest, I've always found the Northwinds sample database to be totally useless. It is so large and complex that trying to find out how to do anything from it is almost impossible, and I've been programming for 15 years now.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

We're using Access 2003, it came with the office package I got when I started school.

I looked at Northwinds yesterday and didn't really know what to do with it. There was so much there and not much explanation on what it was doing or how to refine it for what I wanted.

I'll be sure to check out the templates.

Thanks so much for the help so far guys!