Thread: Career Advice??

Unanswered: Career Advice??

Hi everyone!

I am 23 yrs old and recently started out on what I know will be a long career path to becoming a DBA. I, like many, have had little experience in a database enviroment and so have had to self-fund a distance learning course in order to gain desirable qualifications. I am currently studying a course around a full time job which upon completion offers the qualifications of CompTIA A+ Essentials, CompTIA A+ Technician, Microsoft Certified Pro, and Microsoft Certified DBA using SQL server. I have also started to learn SQL and PL/SQL using practical exercises. Ideally I would like to work with Oracle products in the future, however gaining any shadow experience in this field without prior experience is proving almost impossible. I would like to know if anyone has any advice on career progression e.g- whether i should work with SQL server after my course or just try and move straight onto Oracle, any advice about gaining Oracle experience or just any other helpful tips and comments.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >I am 23 yrs old
    What is your degree?
    What was your GPA?
    What is your current job?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Hi,

I currently work in retail banking, I have done for 6 years, I don't have a degree, and im not sure what a GPA is??

Thanks

Mark

Some/many/most DBAs have Bachelor degree in something.
    Some/many/most DBAs started their career as a programmer.
    Proverbial Catch-22 for wannabe DBAs.
    You can't get hired without having previous experience.
    You can't get experience without a job.

Thats very true and thats the problem i am facing. Do you think that havin qualifications such as Microsoft Certified DBA, and also Oracle Certified Associate would increase my chances of gaining a role such as a junior DBA??

Thanks

Mark

If you visit DICE.COM or MONSTER.COM & look posted openings,
    I suspect you'll find that some/many/most DBA jobs are look for at least 3 years or more experience.
    Please post back here any URL for a posted DBA position for ZERO years experience.
    AFAIK, nobody hires a "paper" DBA; certificate only & no experience.
    Besides why do you want the stress & unpaid overtime that comes with being a DBA?
    As a general rule the serious work done by DBAs is done during off hours maintenance windows;
    like midnight to 3AM Sunday mornings.

What other careers within Database management would you suggest as an alternative to a DBA role?

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent
    If you visit DICE.COM or MONSTER.COM & look posted openings,
    I suspect you'll find that some/many/most DBA jobs are look for at least 3 years or more experience.
    Please post back here any URL for a posted DBA position for ZERO years experience.
    AFAIK, nobody hires a "paper" DBA; certificate only & no experience.
    Besides why do you want the stress & unpaid overtime that comes with being a DBA?
    As a general rule the serious work done by DBAs is done during off hours maintenance windows;
    like midnight to 3AM Sunday mornings.
    Here are some entry level DBA jobs. http://career-advisor.jobamatic.com/...entry+level%22

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply, this does prove that you can move into a DBA role without years and years experience which is encouraging, however I am in the UK so these particular jobs are a bit far away lol.

Thanks anyway.

Mark

Get into I.T., get some/any experience, then try & move across into a DBA role.

As Anacedent says, you can't get a job without experience & vice versa, so you've got to get in any way you can i.e. doing any I.T. job; once you're in, then start trying to move towards the job you really want. Who knows, you may actually find another job/role that you really like & decide to kick the DBA idea into touch.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

I did a career change in my mid 30's. I went to DeVry to get my second bachelors's, this time in CIS. While in school I passed the first two Oracle exams, SQL and PL/SQL Programming Units. It is advantageous to certify or at least to pass Cert exams. That way you have a "floor" in the minds of hiring powers, you have accomplished "this" while others in your situation have not. Who are they going to hire?

My link to database development work that I have now done for five years was to become a tech recruiter. I eventually got my first job w/ one of our own clients. All my work had been in SQL Server until the last six months in Oracle. I think you should become a programmer first, you have to know SQL anyway. You may like it more as I always thought DBA work is boring (sorry guys). I personally like writing code. As far as employment in Oracle vs SQL Server I would do either one that I could get into as the concepts in T-SQL and PL/SQL will have a great deal of overlap. Once again if you have 3 years w/ SQL Server and want to tranistion to Oracle's PL/SQL at least you have 3 years of programming experience as opposed to ZERO programming experience.

Good luck.

ddave

By no means am I an expert worthy of providing any answers, however you are still fairly young and you interests might change. You have to really ask yourself why you want to be a DBA. Does the job title sound cool, are you trying to impress friends and family. I am not saying this to be sarcastic but to be realistic. I would just get the best situation you can find that promotes and atmosphere of learning and development. Even a "crappy" support job can provide a gateway into bigger and better things like an oracle DBA. Research companies that you would be interested in working for and find out what software they use. Then find out what openings they have. For instance I wanted to be a DBA for the longest time. But I was in help desk positions and employment situations that didn't offer much exposure to Oracle except for installing the client and configuring the TNS file. Recently I was contacted and offered a position to work at a software company where I perform support duties. Now I get exposure to mulitple sun servers and oracle databases that force me to work with and truly understand the data and how it relates to one another. I am in heaven but I have realized something. That I like Unix better then I like working with Oracle. So now my number one goal is to eventually get to a point where I can work as a sys admin or developer. I am encouraged to take any direction I want as long as it benefits the company. And luckily the company is small enough that there is so much room for growth. I get to run SQL and scripts on live production servers. But I can tell you this. That no matter how frustrated you get studying at home, the stuff you do at home does provide a terrific foundation for what you will encounter in the work place. Trust me it does help. It's of course no substitute for real world experience but its better then sitting around waiting for something to come to you. I wish you all the best and hope you find a company you can really make a career out of.